• 2 Post By NorwichCadet
  • 1 Post By Cascades
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Shipping case question

Member #
    Liked
    75 times

Shipping case question

I'm getting ready to ship an SAA to Jim Martin for some work. What type of box/case do you folks use for shipping your SAA's?
    Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I've used small hard cases when I've sent revolvers to Jim for work. I pack the revolver well, adding extra padding inside the hard case (so it doesn't shift), as well as I pad the hard case within the shipping box with packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Shipping boxes I get from FedEx or UPS, and or use a USPS medium Priority (depending on senders credentials). Insure and track.
    Last edited by RMF; 02-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    weagle99 likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5657 times
    Pack guns like King Cong and Godzilla are going to be playing soccer with the box.

Buy an inexpensive hard plastic gun box and use bubble wrap or other padding to position the gun in the hard case so it can't shift.
    Put a short letter IN the box with your shipping info and the address where it's going.

Tape the hard case shut. Don't depend on the box latch.

Put the hard case in a bigger box and use enough bubble wrap to position the hard case so it can't possibly shift and come in contact with the outer cardboard box.
    A bigger box protects the inner case so it can't come in contact with the outer box, and a bigger box is harder to steal.

Use plenty of real shipping tape to tape the cardboard box shut on all seams, even the glued seam.
    The best tape is the fiber laced shipping tape that doesn't tear and has aggressive adhesive.
    Use plenty, it's cheap compared to the contents.

Print up a label with your return address and the address where it's going in large letters.
    DO NOT use any name that suggests it's a gun.
    If it's going to Bubba's Gun Repair, use something like Bubba's Service Center, or BG Service.
    Tape the label on the box with clear book type tape.

If you write the addresses on the box by hand use a good magic marker and then cover it with clear tape.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    "If it's going to Bubba's Gun Repair, use something like Bubba's Service Center, or BG Service." Definitely do this. Putting the word gun or anything related to it is like a thief magnet. What about insuring it? While it is a good idea, doesn't it alarm sticky fingers "take this box" over others?
    Abwehr and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12735 times
    List it as antique hardware when shipping.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    List it as antique hardware when shipping.
    DON'T.

When you ship a gun you sign a shipping document.
    This is actually a legally binding contract with the shipper.
    If you lie about the contents the shipper will pay you NOTHING is it's lost, stolen, or damaged, because you defrauded the shipper and broke the contract.

I'm still not 100% clear if Federal law requires that you tell a shipper the contents are a pistol.
    I've heard several different opinions on this.

Bottom line is...DON'T LIE.

As for insurance alerting a thief, since the shippers require sending it via the fastest method and most valuable or time critical items are sent that way, high insurance isn't a particularly alerting fact.
    I can't remember if the box has any info attached that states what the insurance amount is.

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    If I'm remembering correctly, Jim prefers USPS. When you or your FFL person ships it, Jim wants the tracking number. He and his delivery person have a system worked out--and it is important that he knows the delivery date.

A recent box from him did have the insurance amount on the box.

How did I not see this thread last night? This morning I addressed a box to him. When I wrote the name of the gun shop on the box, I thought I'd really rather have not advertised the contents. Hope it is not a jinx! That's a nice Colt that I'll not be able to replace for the money I paid for it, and a replacement gun likely would not have such good vibes. (But if it comes to a replacement, I'll just have to suffer while listening to the sweet song of its clicks and while feeling how nice it settles in the hand, soothing the Spirit. --Oh, how we do suffer with our Colts!)
    Abwehr likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5657 times
    Note that ONLY a FFL License holder can MAIL a pistol through the US Post Office.

Unless you have an FFL you have to ship Fed-Ex or UPS.
    If you are buddies with an FFL Dealer he can mail it for you, and if he's nice he won't scalp you on the price.
    lounick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    Note that ONLY a FFL License holder can MAIL a pistol through the US Post Office.

Unless you have an FFL you have to ship Fed-Ex or UPS.
    If you are buddies with an FFL Dealer he can mail it for you, and if he's nice he won't scalp you on the price.
    Exactly! Except Fed-Ex/UPS Next Day Air, if I remember correctly - not Ground!

Sponsored Links