Why so little love for Commemorative's?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Why so little love for Commemorative's?

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Armybrat, that ivory aged beautifully.

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    For me it's a matter of money. Guns are made to shoot! Fancy engraving and inlays are pricey art work, in my opinion. If you shoot a Commemorative the value drops like a rock. jmho fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    7115 times
    The problem I have is putting a set of mother-of-toilet seat stocks on a beautiful firearm.

MOTS_zpsi27uhytv.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    1971 NRA SAA .357(2).JPG

1971 NRA and yes it has the presentation case. It's well built and not a bad looker. Chambered in .357. I don't shoot her much, but liked the build. I might get a a slight advantage on a resale but I just like this SAA. No reason to sell and I know the escalation in price will be minimal at best. Liked the revolver, bought and will pass on to the kiddos. I'm not one for the inlays and such. This is pretty bare except for the NRA stamping on the barrel. Each to their own as they say.

Jackson
    VFW Life Member, TSRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    5599 times
    I have wondered if the actions of Commemorative`s are finished as well as standard models as company's might think they wont be shot anyway? I own two. A S&W 544 (44-40) Texas Wagon Trail and a Uberti made for the American Historical Association General George S. Patton. I like the looks of both but havent shot them. Might someday but own similar standard models. I once owned two S&W model 19`s with the bowie knifes Texas Ranger Commemorative`s. They were beautys, wish I had hung on to one. I bought all of them used/new for a fraction of the suggested last list prices. I did pay full pop for a new Texas Ranger when they first came out.

Member #
    Liked
    5599 times
    On that S&W 544 44/40 above: I like Smiths. In the Smith world many like the rarer 5" barrels. I have a model 27-2 and a 29-2 with the 5" barrels. I think there were about 500 made in the 29-2. If one wants one bad enough, they could get a cheaper model 544 commemorative and get a 29 cylinder or pirate a barrel. I dont know about the heat treatment so would use milder loads or .44 special loads in it. I suspect the .44/40 barrel must have the same dimentions as the 29`s and 24`s. Also, the cylinder is countersunk for the rims on the 29 but NOT on the 544.
    Below is my 27 and 29 for comparison.

Last edited by feralmerril; 04-20-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    ussmanlovede36 and Armybrat like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Well it's just depends on your taste. I like mine it's a Gen Meade PA Campaign DSCN0526.JPG And living here in Gettysburg PA it fits. Also I shoot this one without regret. To me their just fancy shooters, 1966 production.

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pdbertb View Post
    I've been looking a long time for an affordable 2nd Gen. SAA in nice shape. This Col. Sam L. Colt Commemorative has been in the case at my LGS for 3-4 months at what I believe to be affordable, but thought it too nice to shoot. Today I pulled the proverbial trigger and started paperwork. I can't believe it sat as long as it did, or that I overlooked it so long, as I just realized it was priced at less than half of the current BB value for a standard 100% early 2nd Gen. 45LC.
    Attachment 299074Attachment 299058
    Find a blued 2nd gen 45 colt cylinder for it and leave that nickeled cylinder untouched.
    pdbertb likes this.

MLV

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I like the Peacemaker Centennials so much I bought two of each and shoot all four. I put decent grips on them though.
    Hopalong and Don Kenna like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    I once owned two S&W model 19`s with the bowie knifes Texas Ranger Commemorative`s. They were beautys, wish I had hung on to one. I bought all of them used/new for a fraction of the suggested last list prices. I did pay full pop for a new Texas Ranger when they first came out.
    I purchased one just like Feralmerril shows in his post, I think the knife could be worth more than I paid for the entire set, plus it has a cool serial number TR5600.
    Colt-SL likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links