Why so little love for Commemorative's?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Why so little love for Commemorative's?

Member #
    Liked
    5581 times
    Those also had a shaved or narrow trigger guard ALA Bill Jordan as that's what he did to his. The 4" model 19`s were a good gun, felt just right in the hand. I once had a nickle one. I had a close friend who was a deputy. He had one but died about two years ago. I am sure his widow has it.
    colt03 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    I bought this one last week for $885. Went ahead and shot it today. Nothing like shooting a brand new, 56 year old, 2nd gen Colt SAA.
    Did the same thing with it's twin a few months ago.

P4200001.JPG
    I really don't notice the "ugly" any more - I plan to use them enough to wear the gold off.

P4200002.JPG
    Last edited by Joel6180; 04-20-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    468 times
    $885? I'd pay that everyday and twice on Sunday for the ugliest SAA out there. That's a crazy price.
    sixguns, colt03, Armybrat and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
    I have wondered if the actions of Commemorative`s are finished as well as standard models as company's might think they wont be shot anyway? I own two. A S&W 544 (44-40) Texas Wagon Trail and a Uberti made for the American Historical Association General George S. Patton. I like the looks of both but havent shot them. Might someday but own similar standard models. I once owned two S&W model 19`s with the bowie knifes Texas Ranger Commemorative`s. They were beautys, wish I had hung on to one. I bought all of them used/new for a fraction of the suggested last list prices. I did pay full pop for a new Texas Ranger when they first came out.

The GSP and that Bowie are works of art, IMHO. Very nice!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8299 times
    I finally have the time to read this thread and only have 1st Gen Colt SAA revolvers, but about 1 1/2 years ago, I found this NRA Commemorative revolver in the box and unfired for $1500. For a 7 1/2" barrel .45 Colt revolver, I bought it. The only thing I did not like was the gold filling on the barrel, but i knew I could remove that. When I took it apart for a clean and lube job, it had never been apart. Since it was a Commemorative, and made to be a non firing revolver to hold it's "value", I checked the interior of the Frame for burrs. I did find some and got them removed, polished the Hand and Chimney, and smoothed up other parts. The revolver is really nice and much lower cost than a regular 1971 2nd Gen.

I got this one since it was not gold plated, engraved, or other Motifs on the revolver. I do not care much for gaudiness at all, and this one seemed to fit the bill. It is a great shooter, looks good and shoots good. A win-win situation for a modern SAA revolver. I finally decided to put a set of Ivory stocks on the revolver and that is about as much 'bling" as I like, LOL!

The wood case had a few small bumps and bruises, but I did a light sanding and several coats of Tung Oil. For the price, a Commemorative is the way to go.

IMG_1395.JPGIMG_1376_2.JPG

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    1302 times
    Some really nice holsters there, Marvin.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1563 times
    I agree with Abwehr re: the NRAs. As commemoratives go they're one of the most "subtle", really just a 2nd gen with the high polish finish of the later 3rds, and the NRA script on the bbl.

I bought this one last year, with the display case, for $1,350.00 OTD, which I though was a reasonable price. The only thing I've done to it is to remove the gold filling in the script, and drop it off to Jim Martin for an action job. It's now one of my main CAS match guns. I also like that the grips/stocks are fit flush with the frame, and this one has particularly vivid case colours.

For a shooters, the NRA have always been one of the better options because of their relative lack of the usual commemorative gaudiness, and their lower price in comparison to standard production SAAs.

Best regards,
    Abwehr, colt03, Armybrat and 2 others like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    The problem I have is putting a set of mother-of-toilet seat stocks on a beautiful firearm.

Attachment 299354
    Whoa, Rick! Nice one. Looks to me as if this is the extremely rare Montezuma Travelers model. How much did that set you back?!

Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    Joel6180, where did you find your commemorative SAAs for such a great price?
    A lawyer, but NOT YOUR LAWYER.

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    $885? I'd pay that everyday and twice on Sunday for the ugliest SAA out there. That's a crazy price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collects View Post
    Joel6180, where did you find your commemorative SAAs for such a great price?
    No kidding! That's a "yuge" deal!
    Last edited by Armybrat; 04-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links