Colt Forum banner

colt saa buntline??

11K views 79 replies 23 participants last post by  Rio 
#1 ·
My wifes father decided to give her a colt saa from his grandfather or maybe even further back. Didnt know much about it, but I have a nice shop locally that can restore it really nice. I was able to find an original trigger guard setup as the 1 on it is a replica brass. At first I wasnt sure about the barrel as it measures 5.5" and does not have a front sight and the rear sight is missing as well. I then decided to look in colts book after researching the topics on here, and found that the serial number is 28816 and it shows it is a buntline model. I had wondered if someone at some point milled out the top of the frame for something, but it appears it is supposed to be like that.

I would like to restore this, mostly for sentimental value. Now seeing this is a buntline model ( maybe), is it worth restoring, provided I can find a long barrel, rear sight ect?

I also just filled out the paperwork for colt to provide the history on it, not sure if it will tell me anything else.

thanks in advance,

Steve

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
So does this mean it's a authentic buntline?

If so then what's the best idea going forward?
Well, the info you received from Colt COULD be correct. The shipping date is correct per Sutherland. Also, he said some barrel lengths were not mentioned and there could have been some with 7 1/2" lengths. I question restoring it at this point since you do not know what the original barrel length was; 10", 12" 16" or 7 1/2". I think I would contact Colt Archives again, provide them with the information that Sutherland acquired from them and ask them to do a further check. If that gets no better results I would do nothing for now and try to research further. If it comes down to you wanting to restore it I think I would go with the 7 1/2". That is the closest you could get to the records. If you are after a Buntline look then the longer barrel may be what you would want. Can you see a serial number on the periphery of the cylinder? It will be inline with one of the flutes. How about the backstrap serial number; can you see it? It would be on the butt next to the screw. In addition to a barrel you need an iron triggerguard and one piece wood stocks and someone will have to manufacture a rear sight. So far, the best documentation you have is from the book I quoted; that it is a true Buntline. Hard decision which direction to go. A further consideration: A restoration to a 7 1/2" length will match the Colt letter. If in the future more information is available and you find the barrel length to be longer then all that would need to be done would be to change the barrel again....everything else would stay as restored. You have a valuable gun, more so when restored. I know you really like your gunsmith and his work but with the money involved in getting the restoration done and the potential value of the gun after the restoration you want the best work that can be had. Dave Lanara is the accepted best at restoring SAA's and you will know you are getting the best job possible thus making the gun the most valuable possible. Just my thoughts...it is your gun. Some more thoughts on restoration: The new barrel you select will need to be serial numbered. The replacement triggerguard would need to be serial numbered. The cylinder and backstrap numbers will need to be freshened if there or restamped if not there. Dave Lanara has the correct size and shape number stamps to do this renumbering....check with your gunsmith and ask him if he has the correct number stamps for that period of production. Even the new barrel that will be made needs to be correct in shape, front sight and rolled address. Believe me, if this is not done correctly it will be known, and discounted, by any serious collector in the future...

#37 ·
It's interesting that the original Buntlines were full blued instead of blue/cch finished. I believe the correct folding sight arrangement was something called a "globe & peek" sight, and the forward hole in the top strap was some kind of vent hole right above the forcing cone. Why on just the Buntline model ?

#43 ·
Here is an excellent article about the Buntline. It makes a pretty good case that Earp actually had and used one. But there's lots of Buntline history in general here, too. In pictures the original Buntlines always looked to have case hardened frames to me, but maybe not. This article is also in a Guns & Ammo magazine I still have where I first saw it.

Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special - Tombstone History Archives

#44 ·
my grandfather retired from working at Colt, he worked at colt his entire life after getting back from WW2. I actually found on ancestry website his work card from colt and that colt had helped him obtain living quarters.......

maybe this weekend I will head up to see the wifes dad and pick his mind a little more about the gun.

I left dave Lanara a message, hope to hear back from him ;)

#47 ·
I have often wondered where the Buntline came from that was shown in several scenes with Burt Lancaster in the 1957 movie Gunfight at the OK Corral ? Was Colt making a reproduction at that time ? Interesting that it was directed by John Sturges who went on to make The Magnificent Seven a few years later and co-starred Deforest Kelly as Morgan Earp, Martin Milner as James Earp and Dennis Hopper as Billy Clanton. Not an historically accurate movie but quite entertaining never the less and with a stellar cast.

#53 ·
So I have had a few emails back and forth with Mr. Lanara, and now I have to decide if it is worth putting that much into this gun to restore it. I am going to do even more research on the restored value to see if its even worth the cost of the restoration ( value wise) as with most guns, you never get back what you put into a gun.

I would hate not to restore this piece of history, so I am leaning towards doing it.....just a little more research hopefully will help make my decision

thanks

#57 ·
So, if I understand what you are saying only the 16" barrel had the flattop, flip up, adjustable rear sight and any other barrel length used the standard SAA frame? If that is true, and the OP wishes to restore 28816, then he should select the 16" barrel for the restoration. Thanks.

#63 · (Edited)
While it's true that what you put into it may be more than some would pay, the fact that this was in the family for awhile and it can continue to be enjoyed by your family and extended ( such as possibly shooting it at special events such as family gatherings, 4th July, etc of which I would have an additional modern 2nd generation cycled fitted). And in the future if you sell you should get your money back and more if you do your best to restore to the best of accepted knowledge what configuration it was in as it left the factory. And as a last resort, your frame alone if sold today should be worth a good sum that would amount to one or more nice Colt SAA's. To someone else, cost of restoration would be a minor concern to owning an original Colt special. I have seen one of these at the Frazier museum in Louisville, KY. Don't know the serial number but I believe it was a 16" with ladder sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.