Fourth Gen Colt SAA?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fourth Gen Colt SAA?

Member #
    Liked
    4448 times
    I've bought and sold more than a dozen nice SAA off Gun broker in the last three years. Some NIB, others lightly used. None admittedly in the last nine months. In that time frame nice short barrel, nickel guns with ivory were in the $2/2500K range.

Member Ben here, recently posted this about his "Colt a Month Club" purchases, ".....$1860 before taxes, which I think is high. BUT - The lack of supply is driving up the prices. But then again, it's also driving up the value of currently owned guns too. another local shop has been successful in selling on gunpoker with listing at $2300......." Call him an astute buyer.

Tire kicking is one thing, actual buying and selling is another.
    arjay likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1134 times
    There are good deals still out there, you just need to know where too look. When you find it you have to grab it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good hunting.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    So are the 3rd Gen Colts with the cylinder bushing more desirable? Is it looked at as an upgrade? Anyway to tell if there is the bushing without removing the cylinder? Thanks again, Rick.
    Last edited by GRIZZLYONE; 05-19-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Coyotes shot no waiting.
    Them mountains is for animals and savages.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLYONE View Post
    So are the 3rd Gen Colts with the cylinder bushing more desirable? Is it looked at as an upgrade? Anyway to tell if there is the bushing without removing the cylinder? Thanks again, Rick.
    Rick,

1. To those that know about it and appreciate it, yes. Some don't care and some base their decision on the price comparison between with or without the bushing.

2. Personally I view it as an upgrade, yes.

3. You can absolutely tell if it has a bushing or not w/o removing the cyl. Just open the loading gate and look at the ratchets; you can see the bushing or the pin between the ratchet teeth. The bushing is larger diameter than the pin and therefore will be closer to your eye than the pin. You'll need to look at two guns side by side, one with and one w/o bushing, and compare to see the difference. If the bushing is a bit short, you'll be able to see both the pin and the bushing.

Jim
    Abwehr, BrianinSLC and weagle99 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Hondo's advice is spot on. Another way to quickly tell is look at the serial number. Generally speaking, if the SN is greater than S33,XXXA the removable bushing is probably present.

Member #
    Liked
    1401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
    $1400 - $1500 ? NIB, I will buy all I can find at that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighipiron View Post
    Yeah I am amazed how some of the folks that I consider to be the most savvy in regards to colts are so far off base from what the actual market calls for these days.
    I am even more amazed how some can read something and make up their own meaning in their minds. Rick asked what price is reasonable and I answered: "A price closer to $1400-1500 is the most reasonable."

I didn't say that was the going price or that one could find that price or find it everyday! Just that the closer one got to that range, the more reasonable the price is, period.

And below that range would be a steal, not that you'd find any. Although some of us have.

Colt prices depend on many things: who's selling it, location in the country, auctions, etc., etc., as we all should know. People pay prices according to their own limits, discipline, and patience, sometimes above actual value.

You'll find the least reasonable prices on auctions and with some dealers. Generally you'll find the most reasonable prices or even 'steals' from individuals. They may have inherited the Colt and have nothing in it. They may have bought the Colt brand new years ago for $350, like I did my first 3rd gen in 1978. Some will sell their Colt for just enough to buy some other gun they want more and are in a hurry.

Bottom line is; there's a going price and there's a price you may find. I bought my last middle period 2nd gen, almost like new, 44 spl, 5 1/2", one of the scarcest, for $825 last year.
    Last edited by Hondo44; 05-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    ethompson likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Thanks again guys, Rick.
    Coyotes shot no waiting.
    Them mountains is for animals and savages.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    My comment was not meant to flame or cause any heartburn. I was only referring to 3rd Gen NIB. $1400 to $1500 is barely or below retail. I truly apologize if it was taken any way other than it was intended which was to say, I would buy any and all 3rd Gen NIB Colts I could find at that price.
    "In sun and shade, be sure by your friends. Never swing a mean loop. Never do dirt to man nor animal" The Cowboy Code.

Member #
    Liked
    1401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
    My comment was not meant to flame or cause any heartburn. I was only referring to 3rd Gen NIB. $1400 to $1500 is barely or below retail. I truly apologize if it was taken any way other than it was intended which was to say, I would buy any and all 3rd Gen NIB Colts I could find at that price.
    Smokem, no worries and no apology needed. Only included your post for context because Bighipiron responded to you. Sorry for the confusion!

Member #
    Liked
    1401 times
    For example: "Colt SAA 3rd gen, 4" barrel, 2 cylinders, 44 special & 44-40, beat up colt box. $1400" posted here: RugerForum.com ? View topic - WTS Reeder 45 Backpacker, .50 Bowen, COlt SAA & 310 NG.

It sat posted for 5 days before someone grabbed it today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links