Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Colt Burgess Serial 5465

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Colt Burgess Serial 5465

This carbine has been in my wife's family for at least two generations - maybe three. I finally got around to getting a Colt letter. It shows shipped to Newton and Andrews in El Paso, Texas, September 12, 1884. No further info. I have a couple of friends in the Colt Collector's Club doing some checking for me, but not much info.

Wife only remembers playing with the gun (Cowboys and Indians) with her brother and cousins in the late '50's. Her grandfather had removed the firing pin way back then (never to be found).

Before I make up a story about how this carbine was issued to Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, or U.S Marshal Wyatt Earp, can anyone in this wealth of knowledge group add thoughts, suggestions, or help??

Thanks.
    Kerz and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1606 times
    Dont know much about these but El Paso got my hear pumping as I was born and raised there. Pics?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    May take a while for pics. Its in one of my safes - can't remember which one. Will have photos up by Friday. I did have an older semi-retired gunsmith make a firing pin for it. Not an easy task. But it does shoot very low power loads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1406 times
    I was just looking at my 44-40 ammo and cases I have. I shoot a reduced pressure smokeless load in my original 1875 Remington revolver. If and when I find an original burgess, I would try it as well. If I recall, the pressure was in the 7000 psi range with a lee cast 200 grain bullet.

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JessBGuy View Post
    This carbine has been in my wife's family for at least two generations - maybe three. I finally got around to getting a Colt letter. It shows shipped to Newton and Andrews in El Paso, Texas, September 12, 1884. No further info. I have a couple of friends in the Colt Collector's Club doing some checking for me, but not much info.

Wife only remembers playing with the gun (Cowboys and Indians) with her brother and cousins in the late '50's. Her grandfather had removed the firing pin way back then (never to be found).

Before I make up a story about how this carbine was issued to Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, or U.S Marshal Wyatt Earp, can anyone in this wealth of knowledge group add thoughts, suggestions, or help??

Thanks.
    Beyond Newton and Andrews, I don't think its trail can be traced. Many of these have a broken out place in the forearm, right in front of the receiver. Also the rampant Colt on the left side of the receiver was lightly struck, and can be worn off. Is yours a 44-40?

I have a 25-1/2" Oct Bbl FM Rifle #3778. This 44-40 went to E. C. Meacham, St. Louis, MO on 3-28-1885, 10 Guns. That's all I know about this model, having owned only one in 60 years. In many ways it was better than the Winchester 1873, and its introduction started a "trade war" with Colt!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    The usual "Burgess Split" is there. Barely see the Colt trademark. Still working on pictures. Its a 44/40.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9227 times
    I have 3313 obfmcb, never lettered it. Mine is not broke out on the forearm, but these are notorious for breaking or cracking there. The wood is almost paper thin.
    victorio1sw likes this.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Photos -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1406 times
    Thatís a fine heirloom that should stay with the family. Maybe during special events, it can be shot by who ever wants to shoot it with low pressure loads. There is a good chance that some of the repro Uberti parts like the firing pin would work.

Interesting that it was used to play cowboys/Indians when young. That made me smile. My story when young in the mid 60ís, was we used to play war. We had plastic M1 garands. One day my dad was at a farm auction and for $5, bought a German MP40 that was supposedly missing parts. It may have been properly de-watted and I donít remember if it cocked or not. We used it to play war and I remember it being heavy so the plastic guns got used more. And has kids, we often left stuff lay when we were done. I remember going out to pick up the MP40 where it last was and it was gone. Yep, different times back then for sure.
    Last edited by smkummer; 04-21-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Hi, I have the book for that gun!DSC01968.JPGDSC01969.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links