• 2 Post By AR15_1911
  • 1 Post By WVCOLT

Thread: How to find out more about my rifle

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

How to find out more about my rifle

Hello,
    I recently brought used AR15 M4. how do i find out more info, date or spec about it. On the serial # it start with LE25xxx. I tried to reach out to Colt and no luck thru they website or FB. I looked up at they system on serial number look up and no luck either.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    Hello, welcome to the Colt Forum!

I'm no expert but I had kept personal notes on the Colt model LE6920 Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine/ M4 Carbine since the beginning 1998 up to the current production which was 2019, but they won't be no longer available to the civilian market this year.

Yours according to my notes is made in around 2005, the last serial number in my note from 2005 was number LE0255XX and the earliest that same year was LE18XXX.

Here are the usual features and markings of that year 2005:

Markings on top of barrel between the flash hider and front sight base: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7

Marking under the handguard on top of barrel behind the front handguard cap and below the gas tube: date two digit month (01 - 12), slash (/) and 05 year (you have to remove the top handguard)

Upper right rear marking of detachable carry handle: Forge symbol markings Cardinal (bird head symbol), Cerro (keyhole & number 10 symbol), Anchor Harvey (splintered horizontal letter A), etc.

Front of upper receiver above the gas tube hole have M4 or 4 marking.

Upper receiver picatinny rail have letter T and numbers.

Upper receiver behind the shell deflector, right rear: Letter C and forge symbol codes keyhole, splintered A, stylized letter D (Diemaco), etc.

Lower receiver left side mag well: Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine CAL. 5.56MM

Lower receiver left side above selector-safety lever: Colt Defense

Lower receiver right side mag well: LE restricted markings

Hammer and trigger pins: large type 0.170" diameter (newer since mid 2009 are small mil-spec size 0.154" pins)

Bolt: MPC

Bolt carrier left side below the gas key: letter C

Bolt carrier group type: M16 full auto, (the lower rear most of carrier not machined off)

The mil-spec buffer tube have four positions.

Handguards are the M4 military type fat, oval section with double metal heat shields inside.

Buttstock mostly military M4 type with waffle type feature.

Let me know what other markings or any difference of your carbine.

I only have two newer model LE6920 M4 carbines, a 2011 marked Sporter M4 Carbine and a 2012 marked M4 Carbine
    824tsv, mycolts, WVCOLT and 3 others like this.
    NRA Life Member since 1973
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    thanks for answering my questions on my post. i havent strip my rifle since i got it, been sitting in the safe all this while after i got it 3 years ago. from what i know, it been fitted with aftermarket furniture. here i attached some pic i have on my phone and hope it might help much. btw, the serial # LE2575x. i will get more pics when i got time this weekend hopefully.20200119_105424.jpg20200119_105446.jpg20200119_105524.jpg.
    Last edited by mycolts; 01-24-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    824tsv, AR15_1911 and WVCOLT like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    Yours look nice with the Magpul furniture upgrade, the color of your grip, stock and mag is Flat Dark Earth (FDE), I have the same MOE grip and CTR stock except mine are black color.

Your serial number could also be an early 2006, the only way to be sure is to take off the top of your rail handguard which could be time consuming.

Or you could do what I did with my new upper half LE6920-EPR CK conversion kit that I bought new late Sept. last year, it had a free floating rail and I didn't want to remove it so I tried looking at the forward most air vent hole of the rail, on the top (12 o'clock position) of the barrel.

I used a LED hand flashlight and a magnifying glass and I was lucky and saw the number 08/19, August 2019 was the manufacture date of my new barrel.

I'm a very long time Colt AR owner since 1971 with my first new then AR-15 SP1 (first Colt AR model), and I had bought different models later on like the AR-15A2 Sporter II rifle, Sporter Target rifle, Sporter Lightweight carbine, etc.

Currently I'm on my 12th Colt AR so far, got 4 now two model AR6721 marked "AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine", a SP6920 marked "Sporter M4 Carbine" and a MT6601 marked "Match Target HBAR" lower half with Colt M-16A2 20" barrel rifle new never issued Army surplus upper half.

Some of my pictures are on the top pinned AR picture thread last page 16 and pg 15 and some older pics a few pages back.

Post some of your pictures there in the picture thread too.
    WVCOLT and mycolts like this.
    NRA Life Member since 1973
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4804 times
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us. Very nice AR you have there. Great advice from AR15_1911.
    mycolts likes this.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links