Colt M16A1 Upper question...

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times

Colt M16A1 Upper question...

Guys I am thinking about build using M15A1 upper with teardrop forward assist. My question is I assume the upper has no feed ramp . So what are my options for a barrel what can I use I am probably going to use 10's barrel with pinned 5 ' flash hider. A few months ago I built an xm177 retro using an old SPI Upper and I use this barrel from with slot flash hider from model one sales it shoots just fine but I wanna be safe..... advice for the M16A1 build barrel please and thanks in advancehttp://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 385

Best: Marko

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    This one?

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cf...9ABB89.cfusion

If you are good with a dremel tool you can always add feed ramps. Although it will probably work fine as is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Markyboy... yes that one from model 1 sales so it would work just fine with the M16A1 ? thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKO65 View Post
    Guys I am thinking about build using M15A1 upper with teardrop forward assist. My question is I assume the upper has no feed ramp . So what are my options for a barrel what can I use I am probably going to use 10's barrel with pinned 5 ' flash hider. A few months ago I built an xm177 retro using an old SPI Upper and I use this barrel from with slot flash hider from model one sales it shoots just fine but I wanna be safe..... advice for the M16A1 build barrel please and thanks in advancehttp://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 385

Best: Marko
    Your barrels options are...any of them. A non-ramped receiver can use pretty much any barrel without any real issues. So if you have a barrel with M4 ramps, the receiver will just cover most of those ramps, and there won't be any feeding problems.

The M4 ramps and M4 receiver are of no benefit to the full length M16, so don't think you're missing something that could or would enhance reliability. The M4 ramps were very specifically to correct a feeding issue that arose when they created the M4.

What you can't do is use a non-ramped barrel on a ramped upper; that will cause problems.

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Darklord.... thanks so this one will work fine.

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKO65 View Post
    Darklord.... thanks so this one will work fine.

Yes that barrel will work just fine with your upper.

I don't know what the hell I was thinking; I totally missed you're building an XM177 (I'm such a dork). So disregard what I said about no additional reliability enhancements...With all short barreled AR's, you will have enhanced reliability with M4 ramps. However, that doesn't mean your rifle with be "unreliable". With 55 grain bullets, the XM 177 didn't run into any issues. The issues were specifically the heavier bullets in the shorter rifles. So the M4 ramps were the solution.

So with your upper, the rifle would be correct for an XM177, and provided you use primarily M193 ammo, you're good to go. The rifle will most likely be just fine with bullet weights on up to 70 grains. The feeding issues reared their head much more often in full auto. Us semi-auto guys tend to not run into the problems the military has; so I wouldn't worry at all.

Just so you know, my last XM build was built the same way and I never had any issues using M193 or M855 ammo.

Just wanted to give you full disclosure.

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    Darklord... thank you.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links