Chinese scope
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Chinese scope

Member #
    Liked
    1679 times

Chinese scope

I dug our a Chinese scope that was part of an A2 carbine purchase several years ago, I had kind of forgotten about it, probably thought it was worthless junk and stashed it away.

I think I tried it quickly with the carbine then, but donít remember how it performed, so I decided to mount it on my SP1 rifle and to take it to the range.

Guess the previous owner was embarrassed by itís provenance

At the range, 50 meters indoor with a rest bag

It performed surprisingly well, although 50 meters isnít much of a distance, so Iíll have to try it at the 300 meters outdoor range in the spring.

Iíd prefer an original vintage Colt, but I never found one in good condition at a decent price. And the Brownells repro is quite expensive here (Switzerland)

The SP1 carbine with open sights performed almost as well.

Coltsformysons and binggo like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1117 times
    Agree.
    Nice target. I think scope durability and precision of clicks will be determining factors for the future.
    Vic
    CLASSIC12 likes this.
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck
    NRA Benefactor Member
    KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    993 times
    Nice....agree too. I have the same setup on my SP1. Nothing fancy but.....it works! Good Shoot'n!
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4697 times
    I took a chance and bought a inexpensive Barska from Amazon ($87.00) last summer and it's preforming very well. Still holding 0, this target shot at 50 yards.

CLASSIC12 and Coltsformysons like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7063 times
    The original owner had it right to obscure what he'd done. I buy American scopes. Too much intellectual property, manufacturing has been stolen by Chinese companies, which have taken millions of American jobs. The old refrain that "America is a great industrial powerhouse, which won WWI and WWII" is over. We gave it away. So I don't buy foreign when there are still a couple of American companies left in any industry.

Decades ago, during the ascension of Japan I read a book, Pacific Shift, about how all great cultures started, then collapsed as the next culture, always to the West, took over. At the time Japan was taking over the world economically and manufacturing wise. I had no idea they would collapse too, and be taken over by China. Japan was a proud, hard working, ethical, and very innovative culture. China is....well, we should all know.

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    I have the same scope that I recently replaced with an original Colt. They mostly got the look right, and as best I can tell, function seems to match the real Colt. For the price, I think they're pretty good. You get the "retro experience". I have a 2.75x version on my AR180, and the 4x version on my XM16E1...but if I'm being honest, they're just not very good scopes. They were pretty slick for 1969, but by today's standards they just plain suck. Still, I love having them atop my rifles because they're just right.

I think the Chinese version is a very good value, and it's a good representation of the period scope.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24023 times
    I thought some of the Colt AR-15 scopes were Japanese made.
    CLASSIC12 and 29aholic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2813 times
    I stopped buying cheap scopes decades ago (mostly tasco). The last cheap one I got for free (China) came on an AR-10 I got for a good price, but would I trust it in any kind of critical situation other than target shooting, no way no how.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.
    Iíd rather be in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Member #
    Liked
    659 times
    Actually all of us american consumers are buying made in China optics because the majority of American and foreign brands optic makers are having their low to mid priced optics made in China.

I've got Vortex red dots which I mainly use for practice and plinking mostly are made in China and a Nikon hunting scope made in the Philippines, they all work good so far but I don't expect a long life from them.

My go to red dot sight now is my older model Aimpoint Comp M2 which I've been using for 15 years now, my first Aimpoint model 2000 got it new in 1989 served me well for over 15 years.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.
    NRA Life Member since 1973
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

JOG

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I know a lot of the glass for scope's are made in china and the Philippine's.
    The better glass is made in Japan.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links