Colt Lightning Rifle Variations
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hmaag

Thread: Colt Lightning Rifle Variations

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

Colt Lightning Rifle Variations

Were there grades or variations of the medium and large frame Colt Lightning rifles? I know they switch from a octagonal barrel to a round barrel, but dont know when the switch occured.

I have been looking at reproduction stocks and firearms and there are a few variations. I have found rubber forearms with the colt logo and wooden forearms that are checkered or just plain.

I have searched the internet and seen examples of both on medium and large frame guns. Is one more correct than another, or were rubber forearms used in later production?

Did all the the rifles have the cresent butt plate, or were some manufactured with a flat butt plate? The reporduction creset stocks are easy to find, but the cresent butt plates are virtually non existent.

I am rebuilding a 1895 .32-20 and want to get close to the original configuration for that time as I can.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    This is the way I understand it. Leaving out special order, where you could get what ever you wanted, special wood, barrel length, tube length, pistol grip and the list goes on.

The fore end grips were the checkered style through 1896 when the smooth outlined version with a bit different contour came in, though the checkered ones were still available. There was supposedly one piece wood and hard rubber for the medium frame. I'm not sure if the rubber ones had a Colt logo like the repo's do now. I believe the small frames die have rubber grips, with and without the logo.

All rifles in the medium frame came with the crescent butt plate, while the carbines had a modified shotgun butt. I don't think they ever stopped the octagonal barrel completely.
    Last edited by Fazer; 02-13-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks for your input!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1248 times
    The Lightning rifle is in 32-20, the carbine in 44-40
    Attached Images Attached Images