Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel
  • 1 Post By AR15_1911

Thread: Pivot pin question

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times

Pivot pin question

So I bought this 1981 SP1 carbine end last year. Gorgeous, nimble, light and simple, and quite rare around here (Switzerland).

But it had this weird looking pivot pin

Instead of the normal two screws pin

At first I thought I needed to find an original pin. But then I started liking this device : the fit is perfect, it’s tight, and allows an instant disassembly of the upper and lower as was originally intended.

So now instead of replacing this by the original two screw, I am thinking of converting my other large pin Colt’s with this .... if I can find it.

It looks very similar to the pins used on HK weapons

But from my research the HK ones are smaller, both in length and diameter.

So I am looking for clues which weapon is using this, and if I can find a few.

Here are pictures and the dimensions in two standards

Member #
    Stuck in a Marxist Run Cesspool- One Floor Above Hell
    Liked
    168 times
    That is not a Colt pin. It is an aftermarket pin.
    Brownell's might still sell the original Colt pin you are missing. They could order one from Colt for you.
    Colt Collector's Assoc. Member- 30+ yrs
    RIP My dear dog "Jake" (1998- 3/11/2011-pictured in the avatar). Black Lab
    RIP My dear dog "Bosco" 12/30/2007-08/22/2019. Black Lab
    Welcome My new dog Diesel (2017- ) Black Lab
    Molon Labe......

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8589 times
    I'm wanting to say that's an HK pin, but I'm not certain.
    HK does use the same sort of locking pin in their rifles.

They may use the exact pin on their AR-15 type rifles and they do use them on their G3 types.

Go to Brownell's Schematics and look under HK.
    There is a picture of this type of pin for the G36 rifle, part number 11.
    Click on the red 11, then click on the picture of it lower on the page to expand it. It looks exactly like the pin you pictured above.

Gun Parts Corp also shows that type of pin for the HK G3 rifle, part 52......

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...h/rifles-hk/g3
    CLASSIC12 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I'm wanting to say that's an HK pin, but I'm not certain.
    HK does use the same sort of locking pin in their rifles.

They may use the exact pin on their AR-15 type rifles and they do use them on their G3 types.

Go to Brownell's Schematics and look under HK.
    There is a picture of this type of pin for the G36 rifle, part number 11.
    Click on the red 11, then click on the picture of it lower on the page to expand it. It looks exactly like the pin you pictured above.

Gun Parts Corp also shows that type of pin for the HK G3 rifle, part 52......

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...h/rifles-hk/g3
    Thanks

The issue I have is finding out dimension of the HK pins

When I found dimensions, they were smaller, like 6 mm diameter and shorter

But they do look very similar

I asked on the HKPro forum, but since my post was not about an HK weapon, it was deleted by mods I believe. Seems like quite a closed world there.

Member #
    Liked
    678 times

Here is a KNS Precision Inc. 0.315 inch diameter pin for the AR type large diameter which Colt used since the start of AR-15 SP1 until around in the US ban of 1994 to 2004.

The large diameter pin and it is also offset from the center of the military 0.250 inch diameter pivot pin to prevent just using a small hole bushing, since it is offset any military upper half M-16 could not be used.

This KNS pivot pins are the ones commonly used here in the US, I had seen many older AR with this pin type.

KNS also makes 0.250 inch dia. to fit current Colt and military spec AR types.

The Colt factory also made an pivot pin adapter for a large hole lower receiver to be mated to small hole military and modern upper receivers, I had used them factory pins and they are better than other brands of adapter pins in the market.

About the pin you have that looks like an HK pin, I agree it's an HK because I had a HK 94 pre ban 9mm carbine from 1989 to 2001.

The problem are those HK pins will have a different diameter size and length which won't work with AR pin dimensions.

Your HK pin type on your AR could probably made by German gunsmiths, they just copied the HK type but making a custom size pin to fit the AR.
    CLASSIC12 likes this.
    NRA Life Member since 1973
    Colt AR-15 Sporter SP1 rifle owner since 1971
    Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine owner since 1985
    Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 .45 pistol owner since 1984

Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15_1911 View Post

Here is a KNS Precision Inc. 0.315 inch diameter pin for the AR type large diameter which Colt used since the start of AR-15 SP1 until around in the US ban of 1994 to 2004.

The large diameter pin and it is also offset from the center of the military 0.250 inch diameter pivot pin to prevent just using a small hole bushing, since it is offset any military upper half M-16 could not be used.

This KNS pivot pins are the ones commonly used here in the US, I had seen many older AR with this pin type.

KNS also makes 0.250 inch dia. to fit current Colt and military spec AR types.

The Colt factory also made an pivot pin adapter for a large hole lower receiver to be mated to small hole military and modern upper receivers, I had used them factory pins and they are better than other brands of adapter pins in the market.

About the pin you have that looks like an HK pin, I agree it's an HK because I had a HK 94 pre ban 9mm carbine from 1989 to 2001.

The problem are those HK pins will have a different diameter size and length which won't work with AR pin dimensions.

Your HK pin type on your AR could probably made by German gunsmiths, they just copied the HK type but making a custom size pin to fit the AR.
    Thanks, I will buy a few KNS pins

Member #
    Liked
    1254 times
    Komplimänt, wunderschöne Zuestand. Ha vor 1990 wonino Automate gsammlet ha au eine gha.
    Gruess Hans
    Hans Maag, Switzerland

Sponsored Links