Colt Forum banner

Colt M16 (or M4)

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Vintage Racer 
#1 ·
I did a search. I may have missed it...

I am looking for a Colt .22 long rifle to go to the range.

I have plenty of high caliper rifles. I want a Colt Long Gun .22LR to shoot at the range with my Colt pistols. My store has this M4 for $599.
Colt M4 OPS
Features a sixteen inch barrel, a back up rear sight, M4 collapsible stock, A4 flat top upper receiver with detachable carry handle, high-grade aluminum free-float picatinny rail handguard, A2 flash hider, A2 pistol grip and 30 round magazine. The unit weighs 5.95 pounds - just like the real deal Colt M4 carbine.
Can anyone recommend something else before I spend $635 (including tax)?

What 'ca think? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
S&W and Ruger make .22LR "look-alike" AR rifles.
The Ruger is a 10/22 in an AR looking stock assembly. The S&W appears to be more like an AR.

The Umarex-Colt version doesn't have a particularly good reputation, and is a rather strange design.
As example, you can't remove the bolt for cleaning.
To clean you unscrew what appears to be the barrel, which is actually a shroud over the real barrel and pull it forward.
You have to use something like a bore snake to clean the bore from the chamber end.
There were several reports of these breaking the receiver off between the grip and the stock.
Few, if any AR parts or accessories can be used, including the trigger unit so you can't change or upgrade it.

I looked at one, and it just wasn't what I was looking for in a .22LR AR type rifle. What I wanted was an AR rifle set up to shoot .22LR ammo, with only the upper receiver modified for the .22LR.
Most of these rifles appear to be just external look-alike rifles with greatly different parts and sort of odd designs.
In the case of the Umarex-Colt, you sort of wonder why they did such an odd-ball design when it would have been much simpler to make it more like a real AR.
All I can guess is because Umarex is primarily an air soft-air gun maker.

#3 ·
I bought one of the one of the M4's as soon as they came out. I have read some of the horror stories too but have had really good luck with mine. Most of the problems I have heard about centered on feeding issues which could be cured by adjusting the bolt. Mine is also particular about certain types of ammo but I find this to be a common issue with all 22s and is more a result of ammo variations than manufacturing issues. As Dfaris points out there are a lot of choices out there in the 22 arena. I have done a fair bit of AR shooting and for me the Colt is looks and feels the closest to the real thing. BTW the Colt is actually manufactured by Walther in Germany. Umarex is the US distibutor.

#5 ·
I agree with bayouboy. I also bought one when they first came out and I am extremely satisfied with mine. It works fine as long as you use the recommended ammunition (CCI Mini Mags) and keep it clean. It is a blast to shoot and the .22's are a whole lot cheaper than the .223's. I have 1200 rounds through mine with no problems.

#4 ·
I bought the S&W last year to have something for younger shooters. Not as accurate as other weapons in my vault, what it has is the M4 "wow" factor for kids a little young for center fire rifles. It really puts a grin on their faces as they go through a box of .22's. I usually wear the same smile when it's my turn.I have had no failures of any kind. Reliability has been excellent.

#6 ·
Thanks a bunch guys for your excellent comments. Who would have thought buying a simple .22 would be so complicated?

I've made notes to take with me today to the gun shop. It always fun shopping for a new firearm. :D

#7 · (Edited)
I too bought a Colt/Umarex M4 when they first came out. It shot okay but the design is awful, the only thing I liked about it was the similarity in looks to a real M4. The Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 is a much better rifle with controls exactly like an M4, also the take down for cleaning is just like a real AR. I highly recommend the S&W over the Colt/Umarex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.