Colt Paterson
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Colt Paterson

Member #
    Liked
    90 times

Colt Paterson

I saw a fancy engraved Colt Paterson yesterday at a gun show. It was in a glass case and the dealer said it might be an Italian gun but that Colt had made with their trademarks. It had gold bands around the barrel and was engraved. I haven't seen any on the web and was wondering if anyone has any info on that pistol?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    382 times

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    It was probably one of the Signature Series Patersons that were made around 1998

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3056 times
    Here is one of mine. A Uberti, I think it was made for America Remembers or one of those firms that had guns specially made.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Bearcat6 gun package was made in 1988 by the U.S. Historical Society. America Remembers didn't acquire the U.S. Historical Society's Antique Arms Division until 1994. His gun is packaged in a nice two drawer wood display case - there was no glass top. The edition was limited to 1000.
    ---------------------------
    Fingersmcgee is probably correct in that it was a 3rd generation Paterson. Here is one in the same type of display case as Bearcat6's.

Rob

01-Paterson (3rd Gen)-02.JPG 01-Paterson (3rd Gen)-06.JPG Colt-Paterson (Signature)-17.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    Here is a picture of my un-engraved Signature Series Paterson and it's box to show how they look.

johngross likes this.
    "That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." A. Lincoln

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Cedarhill, a setup similar to Bearcat6 is currently available in a 21 November auction at Amoskeag Auction Company - Manchester NH Specializing in Sporting & Military Collectibles as lot #422. They are hoping for a bid price of $2K-$3K. This set originally sold for $2500 in 1988. Most of these U.S. Historical Society, America Remembers, American Historical Foundation, etc. limited editions are selling at 35%-60% of MSRP - a win price at $800 to $1200 may not be unreasonable. The case, book, and accessories by itself is probably worth around $600+.

Disclaimer: My interest in this item is solely as having viewed it during one of my on-line 'cruising's.' I am not associated with any item(s) being sold in the amoskeag auction.

Rob

Member #
    Liked
    1279 times
    I've been monitoring the on-line sites for some time now looking for a decent Paterson as a basis for a cased set. Because it appears that nobody is actively producing them any more--even the plain Uberti and Pietta models tend to garner interest and go for premium prices. There are a few early "Replica Arms" versions that show up, but they look to be of very low quality.

I know that Dixie presently carries the basic Pietta for $595--although I'm not sure Pietta is actually still manufacturing them.

Anyway, I just won a Pietta on Gunbroker. It's also engraved, but it doesn't appear to have the silver bands like the one Bill posted. Of course it could be that if the bands are real silver, they are tarnished. Either way, it's definitely engraved and includes the 5 spout flask and separate loading tool. I won it at $745, but there was only one other bidder interested.

Still, if one looks at the regular non-engraved Dixie pistol cost--plus a flask and loading tool, that comes to $760. The listing also included a generic Colt/Remington case and standard mold, which I can probably clean up a little and sell on EBay to help fund the other components I need. Figuring all of that, I think I did OK.

Yeah, it not a Colt 3rd gen, but I can live with it until something better comes along.

Here's a picture from the listing I won.

Cheers
    Last edited by forward_observer; 11-07-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: grammer
    DuWhat likes this.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Member #
    Liked
    1279 times
    Well, I finally got my Pietta replica Paterson in. To my surprise, it was not blued as I thought. The seller used a flash to take his picture, which led me to believe that the bluing was just washed out by said flash.

It turns out that it is engraved, but totally made in stainless steel. I really would have preferred a more authentic blued model, but I guess I'll make do for now. I know that there is a process for bluing stainless, but I never seen an example, so I am hesitant to try to have that done.

As mentioned, the case was not designed for a Paterson, but I think it will do for a refinish and a rebuild of the inside. There are scratches on the outside, but they appear to only be in the finish and not the wood.

I went ahead and ordered an extra cylinder, cleaning rod, bullet mold, and capper from Dixie. I would like to have found one of the more authentic cappers with the cast Colt pony emblem cover plate, but it appears that the UK company that was producing this stuff is defunct.

The one odd thing that caught my eye while looking at on-line images of original cased Paterson's was that at first I thought the cases were French fitted, but then realized that they were only partially made in the French style. The pistol and the flasks are setting in recesses that only fit the curved areas while the rest of the accessories are held in place by what appear to be spring wire clips. I'll have to decide if I want to try to duplicate that or go with the full French
    fit.

Anyway, here is a picture of the pistol in daylight.

P.S. any suggestions on my project would be appreciated.

Last edited by forward_observer; 11-20-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add post script
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Happy New Year To All Members.

Question for the Forum?
    Have any one in the forum seen a reproduction Paterson with "Gain Twist Rifling" and" Four Sided Cylinder Nipples".As far as i
    am aware the above were only used on a genuine paterson. Unless some one knows different,and can start a debate on this subject.
    Kind regards,
    AlSS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links