Colt 1861 Navy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Colt 1861 Navy

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It appears to me that the web site for the "new" SRS owner is infested with some pretty nasty virous, I couldn't get in kept being redirected to junk sites.
    I am curious if any of y'all have had that experience.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdwtx View Post
    It appears to me that the web site for the "new" SRS owner is infested with some pretty nasty virous, I couldn't get in kept being redirected to junk sites. I am curious if any of y'all have had that experience.
    Yuppa on the "nasty" stuff coming from their site. I contacted SRS and they said they are working with their ISP - but that was weeks ago and the problem has been going on for months. So, not sure if it will ever be fixed. I contacted them via the e-mail in this response to my comment about their site:
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonfarmer View Post
    Mail $35 to U.S. Martial Arms Collectors, Box 126, Cabin John, MD. 20818. Email: [email protected] or [email protected].
    ..:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

..:

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    Thanks for the new photos.Is this a family heirloom?Regards,Tecolote

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Sorry for the late reply, I have password proglems.

It is not a family heirloom.

I am going to liquidate my modest civil war collection. This is one of several Colts in it.

Member #
    Liked
    297 times

more on the 2nd Illinois Cavalry and their Colt Navies

Since I have "re-found" some more details on the 2nd Illinois Cavalry and their Colt Navies, I thought I'd revive this thread for a bit.hopefully, it will be of some interest.
    Since both guns referenced, jtdwtx's No. 373 and No. 390,linked above, were both issued to members of Company D,some info about the Company: they were recruited in Alton, Ill. and according to Sam Fletcher of Co. A were rough, river men known as the "Alton Hell Hounds". Posted to Baton Rouge after the fall of Vicksburg, the men of Co. D, tired of their pickets being shot at by Confederate guerillas, caught two and hung them, after which the shooting ceased. The only photo of a Co. D trooper I've come across is this one of Aurelius Burnell ILGenWeb - Civil War Photos - Aurelius Burnell
    Perhaps he handled these very guns.
    An image oF Cpl. Philip Bowser of Co. F shows him with a pair of 61 Navies, one of which is likely his brother-in-laws,Wiliam Crain, who was in the same company.ILGenWeb - Civil War Photos - Philip M. Bowzer
    I seen two other photos of 2nd Llinois troopers with Colts, interestingly both were 61 Navys.

During the second quarter of 1863, the 2nd's companies were split, half in the Memphis area and half in the Vicksburg theatre. The 2nd, as a whole, was pretty well armed with most men having a Sharps carbine, Colt Navy and saber each. In the quarters ordnance returns, Co. D was listed as having 65 Colt's Navy revolvers, old and new models, but only 18 "Pistol-belt holsters, Navy size". Companies A nad K listed Colts but no holsters at all,and except for Co. C, none listed matching numbers of Colts and holsters. Perhaps the above holster was used with no. 373 during the war insead of the regular issue holster. It is possible that not all the revolvers were listed either.Ordnance returns are often lacking and during this quarter Cos. E andG filed no reports at all.
    Sam Fletcher recalled "changing pistols" and slightly wounding his mare. Perhaps he wasn't the only one with more than one pistol. The 2nd did use their Colts, and used them hard. Nos. 373 and 390 show wear at the muzzle, likely to jostling in the holster, while charging with cold steel drawn.
    The serial numbers in SRS,Vol.2 provide interesting information but also raise some questions. For instance, these Colt Navys,both 51 and 61 were issued entirely at random, not in particular blocks.For instance, 61 Navys 456 and 470 went to the 2nd Illlinois but 61 Navy 467 went to the 13th Illinois. Examples of questions raised: the lowest number listed for the 2nd's 61 Navies is No. 33. Nos. 29 and 30 are known to have fluted cylinders, but No. 35 has the standard round form. What about 33? Also, the article Colt 1861 Belt Models by Fred E. Warner in The Rampant Colt , Fall 2002 shows No. 271, a cut for stock model with steel backstrap and triggerguard. Both Nos. 267 and 273 went to the Second;were they cut for stock variants also? Questions, questions.
    At least we have some information.

Regards,
    Tecolote

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    jtdwtx - Blue Book of Guns has a new Blue Book of Antique American Firearms for $40. It would give you the range of value for your gun depending on markings and condition. Might be useful if you are trying to get a ballpark idea of value on more than one gun. At least you could compare the BB value with anybody else's appraisal.

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    Another bump,if I may with a liink or two of some 2nd Illinois troopers with their Colt Navies. If Photobucket were behaving, I'd just show the pictures ...
    First, a link to a past Cowans auction item including CDVs of David and Philip Speidel, both in Co. E of the 2nd. Note each is holding a 61 Navy. Considering that the 2nd did have a lot of the less common 1861 Navy, I'd lean toward these being issued guns rather than photographers' props.
    https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/si...-cavalry-57423
    Next, James Butterfield of Co. A was photographed with a pair of Colt Navies in his belt, one of which might be a '61, but you can't tell for sure. The link no longer works on my frazzled, old desktop nor on my Iphone, but can be found with a Google search for "2nd Illinois Cavalry Butterfield".
    Both Cos. A and E were in the Vicksburg Campaign. On May 11, 1863 they and two other companies were combined into a provisional cavalry battalion and scouted ahead of McPherson's troops on the march to Raymond, MS where they got to skirmish with the Confederates, opening the Battle of Raymond.
    Back in 1997, I got to participate in a living history at the battlefield. There were several stations showing different aspects of the battle, artillery, cavalry,infantry medical, rations and ours live fire of small arms: .69 cal. musket,.577 Enfield, Smith and Maynard carbines, and Colt 1861 Navies(my 2nd Gen. and 3rd Gens) and sent a lot of lead downrange.I don't know whether Butterfield and the Speidels used their Colts that day, but all three survived and were discharged in August of '64.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hmaag View Post
    Springfield Research Service page 161

Attachment 118337
    Hi,

Can you do me a favour and check to see if they have any information on a Colt Army M1860 .44cal with SN 44776? I understand it was produced in 1862 but would love to know who it might have been issued to (or any other information).

Many thanks!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
    ...any information on a Colt Army M1860 .44cal with SN 44776? ...
    Until someone jumps in - the closest SRS has for the 1860 Army...

44636 Co. I - 1st MD Volunteer Cavalry
    44821 Co. K - 12th OH Volunteer Cavalry
    Victrix likes this.
    ..:

..:

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SWOwner View Post
    Until someone jumps in - the closest SRS has for the 1860 Army...
    44636 Co. I - 1st MD Volunteer Cavalry
    44821 Co. K - 12th OH Volunteer Cavalry
    Many thanks for that, SWOwner. I think I will have to contact Colt to request a letter. It's a lovely revolver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links