First, let's start with the pistol. It appears to be all matching. Bluing is mostly worn, but it still has a hint of case coloring, and the silver is fair on the brass.
As stated previously, the hammer would not fully cock. I had never disassembled a percussion revolver before, but decided to pull it apart.
I was amazed, by the boogered spring screw heads and other tool marks, that someone had been in there before.
After assembling without springs, I discovered that the problem still existed. So then I pulled the hand and bolt out, and the hammer would set firmly on the trigger. Then I re-installed the bolt, and it was still good. But when I put the hand back in, there was no full-cock function.
A little closer inspection, and I could see that the pin which holds the hand to the hammer was passing too far through the hammer and blocking the bolt from locking. A quick hit on the pin with a prick punch and reinstall stopped that problem!
But.. when fully assembled, it would only time and lock on five of the six cylinders. And I found another problem on the cylinder teeth. I think the gun was born with this pending issue.
The average gap between the teeth on five of the cylinders is about 3.85mm, and one gap was only 3.13mm. The hand could not push the cylinder far enough forward for the bolt to lock.
Someone had already been there, aggressively, and filed the snot out of the gap between the teeth.
Again, I had nothing to lose, and I just cleaned up the mess the best I could with a jeweler's file. But I also addressed the small gap, and filed the sides of the teeth until it opened up enough to allow the hand to engage lock-up with the bolt.
Now, the hammer fully cocks, the timing is good, and the lock-up is tight!
I could shoot it. But I probably won't.