Quite a gift
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Quite a gift

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    016.JPG017.JPG018.JPG019.JPG020.JPG
    Does the plunger look slightly bent? I don't know if it's supposed to look like that.
    usgi1911A1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    021.JPG022.JPG
    That's all the pics I took today. Forgot to take a pic of the bore but it's about what you'd expect.

So looking at all these pics, is there anyone that would still clean this sucker up and fire it?

Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45collector View Post
    021.JPG022.JPG
    That's all the pics I took today. Forgot to take a pic of the bore but it's about what you'd expect.

So looking at all these pics, is there anyone that would still clean this sucker up and fire it?
    Yes.
    I have fired every gun(pistols and rifles) in my collection including the Patterson. I( would check every thing, load with a sensible load an fire it once. Then clean it again and put it away.
    Prowbar and dandak like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I'll get some pics of the bore and post them as well. It's not horrible but there is some corrosion in there.

I also like to fire everything I own. Guns were meant to be shot! If this old girl is safe enough to shoot, I'll give it a go. I would guess I don't want to put full power charges through it right? I'll have to do some research and find some mild load data. I'm a reloader as well for lots of different pistol and rifle rounds but I've never done BP besides the pellets in the deer gun and shotshells in my damascus shotgun.

Member #
    Liked
    576 times
    The rust looks 'scary' as is. My method for cleaning these is using a brass bore brush of proper size, chuck it in an electric drill and spin it at a low-normal speed. Use plenty of oil. You'll be amazed at how much crap comes out. Be sure to not scratch the bottom. Looks like the cylinder was dropped long ago, taking a nice nick out of one of the chambers.

If the nipples are out you may also clean the rear of the chambers.

Please upload a pic of both the rear of the cyl. Also a close-up of the nipples as these need checking. My recommended load: 20 grains FFG/FFFG BP, some filler and a .454 of .457 ball.

The barrel should be snug on the arbor, the cyl. rotate freely without excessive play, bbl cyl gap not exceed 0.02 inch and the wedge should fit tight in the slot, locking the barrel up nicely. Also check if the arbor has no wiggle in the frame.
    45collector likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
    The rust looks 'scary' as is. My method for cleaning these is using a brass bore brush of proper size, chuck it in an electric drill and spin it at a low-normal speed. Use plenty of oil. You'll be amazed at how much crap comes out. Be sure to not scratch the bottom. Looks like the cylinder was dropped long ago, taking a nice nick out of one of the chambers.

If the nipples are out you may also clean the rear of the chambers.

Please upload a pic of both the rear of the cyl. Also a close-up of the nipples as these need checking. My recommended load: 20 grains FFG/FFFG BP, some filler and a .454 of .457 ball.

The barrel should be snug on the arbor, the cyl. rotate freely without excessive play, bbl cyl gap not exceed 0.02 inch and the wedge should fit tight in the slot, locking the barrel up nicely. Also check if the arbor has no wiggle in the frame.
    Everything is still very tight as far as all that stuff goes. The cylinder does overtravel randomly, but when the cylinder is locked at hammer full cock and the trigger is held back, the cylinder has very minimal movement on any of the chambers.
    If I even do decide to fire it, it won't be for quite a while as I don't have the means to start buying more shooting supplies right now.

Member #
    Liked
    576 times
    I would advise to remove the nipples. If you need any help let us know.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I assume there's a special tool? I work in the auto industry and I have a tire valve stem remover that looks like it would work to remove those nipples but it's not a wrench-type tool. I highly doubt I could get enough torque on my small plastic-handle tool to get those nipples out. They look pretty rusted and crusted in there.

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45collector View Post
    I assume there's a special tool? I work in the auto industry and I have a tire valve stem remover that looks like it would work to remove those nipples but it's not a wrench-type tool. I highly doubt I could get enough torque on my small plastic-handle tool to get those nipples out. They look pretty rusted and crusted in there.
    PM me your address and I will send you one you can use
    dandak, sourdough, Spudee and 1 others like this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Right on thanks!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links