• 3 Post By Billscases
  • 1 Post By desron6
  • 2 Post By Prowbar

Thread: Colt flask?

Member #
    Liked
    1249 times

Colt flask?

This flask is advertised on the net as a "Colt" flask. All similar flasks pictured in Rapleys have "Colts Patent" above the eagle. Plus this eagle is not holding anything in talons but described as standing on a "grass bank". Seller is asking $650. What think?

flask 3.jpg flask 2.jpg flask 1.jpg
    Last edited by Tranter45; 04-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranter45 View Post
    This flask is advertised on the net as a "Colt" flask. All similar flasks pictured in Rapleys have "Colts Patent" above the eagle. Plus this eagle is not holding anything in talons but described as standing on a "grass bank". Asking $650. What think?

flask 3.jpg flask 2.jpg flask 1.jpg
    I am not much on flasks, but do recall some like this being reproduced and sold (by such as Dixie Gun Works) in the 1950's-60's. A few were marked "Dixon", but most had no maker's marks. The head of the spring screw (on top) may look as if it was lathe-turned yesterday.
    Tranter45 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    382 times
    That is original, manufactured for Colt (and other companies) with no question. I believe Sam Colt owned the rights to the Colt's Patent type dies used to stamp later flasks by American flask and cap and those are the most desirable for 49ers but this one is perfect for the early 49ers and the Baby Dragoons. It is also just fine for later 49ers and worth $150 - $200 with a replaced screw or spring. Nice patina on that one with a gouge near the bottom. I would buy it at a gun show for $100 but not much more as its average.
    Tranter45, Spudee and victorio1sw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    2nd what Bill says. It is genuine, as evidenced by the head being manufactured from turned sheet brass, not cast like modern repops.
    Tranter45 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1518 times
    I have been looking at some small powder flask [4 1/2 " long] to display with my 1860 Colt .44, I have been looking on ebay the last couple of weeks, I like the one's that have the eagle and the ones with the cannon and shield etc, but I have heard so much about fakes that I back out. is their some "easy way" to tell the diff. between a fake and a real one by the pic's they put up ? are most of the one's on ebay fake ?

I looked at two that have about the same patina and wear on them and one their asking $49 for it the other asking is $350 with the same time left, I would guess the one at $350 would be the real one.

I have heard that the fake top's have three brass screw's holding it on and the real one's have iron screws, should the small one's have an adj. for the amount of powder you want, with no adj ?
    Some of the one's on ebay look really great and org. but I know so little about then, I cant find a lot of info. on them. any one have a pic. {sample] of a real one ? Thank's for any advice.

Would a powder flask have been carried into battle during the civil war, or the pkg's of ammo. issued. or both ?

BTW, I cant get the pic's of the OP to show, it just spin's.
    Last edited by lboos; 04-17-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lboos View Post
    I have been looking at some small powder flask [4 1/2 " long] to display with my 1860 Colt .44, I have been looking on ebay the last couple of weeks, I like the one's that have the eagle and the ones with the cannon and shield etc, but I have heard so much about fakes that I back out. is their some "easy way" to tell the diff. between a fake and a real one by the pic's they put up ? are most of the one's on ebay fake ?

I looked at two that have about the same patina and wear on them and one their asking $49 for it the other asking is $350 with the same time left, I would guess the one at $350 would be the real one.

I have heard that the fake top's have three brass screw's holding it on and the real one's have iron screws, should the small one's have an adj. for the amount of powder you want, with no adj ?
    Some of the one's on ebay look really great and org. but I know so little about then, I cant find a lot of info. on them. any one have a pic. {sample] of a real one ? Thank's for any advice.

Would a powder flask have been carried into battle during the civil war, or the pkg's of ammo. issued. or both ?

BTW, I cant get the pic's of the OP to show, it just spin's.
    No, the flasks were never carried. Most loading was performed using the paper cartridges. If a flask was to be used, only in the camps.
    lboos and Spudee like this.

Sponsored Links