Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Re-blued 1849 Pocket?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times

Re-blued 1849 Pocket?

I am trying to determine if my firearm here has the original bluing to it. The description at auction states that the bluing has faded to this grey color. I am not sure about this. This is a one line address late model 1849 Pocket. The serial number is 303311.

What do all of you think?

PS I have heard that some owners have their pistol preserved through an addition of a solution that can alter how the pistol looks, but can be taken off. Probably a bunch of BS. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by r010159; 05-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    jcmh1 likes this.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1261 times
    I'm sure the experts will be here soon.
    I'm betting the grips have definitely been refinished or are new to the gun.
    The right side of the frame and the screws look odd to me.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Unfortunately I think you are right regarding the grips. I think someone wanted to make it look “pretty” without understanding what they were doing to the value of the pistol. Now it may be considered only as a coffee table conversation piece, with a value of what, maybe $100? Maybe I can have it turned into a cigar lighter? LOL
    Last edited by r010159; 05-06-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    It might be really nice.
    More pictures required

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    It looks more like it was 'cleaned' at some point, just doesn't look re-blued. The grips are definitely refinished with some type of glossy clearcoat -- not the original oil finish. I would not even consider touching it with anything to give it more 'patina'. You could, however, remove that glossy finish from the grips -- that would be the most I would do.

Around my parts if everything is tight and the cylinder rolls while cocking the hammer these would sell for a minimum of $1000, and goes up considerably with readable cylinder scene and all other stamps.

Member #
    Liked
    766 times
    Hmmm....still silver plating on the sides of the backstrap ears (wears off fast here)...I am not so sure it is not ALL original. I know the 1860 armies came with a dull oil type finish on the wood, but I think the 1849s came with a glossy varnish finish like this, and look at the edges of the grips....still very sharp and not worn rounded. What you need to do is look for any small gouges in the wood, then look into the gouge, if the finish is 'flowing' into it, then they have been revarnished. But they look good to me. The case colors have faded but you can still see evidence of mottling. And the blue does not look streaky. Mfg in 1868 so kind of late for a percussion and didnt get beat up in the civil war. Perhaps it is just a survivor?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I will carefully look at it and get back here with the results.

Update: Here are the photos:
    Last edited by r010159; 05-06-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    I see a pocket with a fair amount of scene on the cylinder, traces of silver on trigger guard, grips on pockets were finished with a high gloss, sharp edges on barrel. All in all pretty good condition for a hundred and forty+ year old gun!

Jim
    Prowbar likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Yes, and look at my new photos. The indentations of the grips appear to me to be raw wood, and not a continuation of the staining, Also look at the fit of the grips, the part that is up next to the frame. It has an excellent fit there. So if the grips are suppose to have a clear finish to it, the grips must be genuine. However, if it is supposed to have an oil finish to it, then it is possible that it has been restored to look nice.

My concern right now is the bluing of the barrel. The auction firearms expert said the bluing faded to a grey. Can bluing do this? This same “expert” also gave one type of condition to my Wells Fargo. However, there are tool marks on the frame that showed the frame was cleaned. Still, due to its rarity, even this Wells Fargo must also be worth something. BTW my Wells Fargo and Baby Dragoon have a clear finish to them also.
    Last edited by r010159; 05-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    ssgriggs likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley492 View Post
    It looks more like it was 'cleaned' at some point, just doesn't look re-blued. The grips are definitely refinished with some type of glossy clearcoat -- not the original oil finish. I would not even consider touching it with anything to give it more 'patina'. You could, however, remove that glossy finish from the grips -- that would be the most I would do.

Around my parts if everything is tight and the cylinder rolls while cocking the hammer these would sell for a minimum of $1000, and goes up considerably with readable cylinder scene and all other stamps.
    The grips were originally high gloss varnish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links