Rust beginning on a pistol
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rust beginning on a pistol

Member #
    Liked
    10925 times
    4/0 steel wool won't hurt the finish used with the same care as the Big 45 Frontier pad. I also like the Big 45 pads when a lot of surface has to be cleaned, but they won't get up in the little tight spots. Millions of Lugers were rust blued using steel wool pads to card off the rust and leave the blue.

Whatever you use don't let the rust build up on it , as it is the iron oxide that is abrasive. Change pads frequently.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I apologize if I gave bad information as per the steel wool. I oftentimes rebuild old firearms that are in pieces, literally, or just start with a receiver or barreled action. I have been using very fine steel wool and very light pressure with plenty of oil for quite a while in order to clean of the freckles of surface rust off of metal surfaces. I did not know a product such as frontier 45 existed before today, but you can be sure that I will be ordering some soon to try. I love this site for this kind of information and the people that are willing to share it!

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Use WD 40 spray is all you need and some, Young's, "303" Parker-Hale cleaner and rust preventer. Used it for years with no problems. Follow the instructions on the back of the Parker-Hale product.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Use brass wool, not steel wool. Brass will work just as well, but will not harm any finish or patina. You can also use bronze wool. In either case, use 00 and 000.
    Last edited by Buck Stinson; 06-07-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r010159 View Post
    I should of used renaissance wax to preserve the finish. Now I see the beginnings of rust on my pistol. How can I take off this very light, spotty layer of rust? I am thinking of rubbing it off with a bit of FrogLube. There must be a better way.

Update:

Rubbing with FrogLube did not work, so I am trying CLP. I may need to use a very fine (finishing) steel wool.
    Steel wool will scratch and remove the blue. Soak the gun's surface in a light oil (like Kroil), and use Big 45 scrub pad. But what they are NOT telling you is that too much scrubbing in ONE PLACE will thin the blue, finally removing it.

I cut a thin piece of sheet brass, and use this small piece to scrape away heavier layers of rust that are in isolated spots. Then soak again with Kroil and finish off with a small piece of Big 45 scrub pad.

The use of a brass coin brush can also be used to good effect. But again, soak in Kroil first, then brush. I think that a soft brass brush is the safest thing to use, if you are getting the desired removal of rust. WHY? Because with any type of brass wool or Big 45 pad you are pushing some loose abrasive rust under it. And that will thin the blue.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I do not know why it is rusting. My other pistols do not have this problem. This is alarming. I am just going to have to regularly examine and maintain them. I will purchase copper wool. There is this cloth that is made up of copper and a cloth type of material. This should be very mild on the cylinder. So I will first try this one. I will get this handled. This is happening to one of my 1849s. I have two. One has a longer barrel than the other.
    Last edited by r010159; 06-07-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r010159 View Post
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I do not know why it is rusting. My other pistols do not have this problem. This is alarming. I am just going to have to regularly examine and maintain them. I will purchase copper wool. There is this cloth that is made up of copper and a cloth type of material. This should be very mild on the cylinder. So I will first try this one. I will get this handled. This is happening to one of my 1849s. I have two. One has a longer barrel than the other.
    Post some pictures if you will.
    oberon likes this.

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    1615 times
    Is the one that is rusting reblued? I had a reblued rifle receiver that would rust whereas none of the other firearms in the same vicinity would rust.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    Is the one that is rusting reblued? I had a reblued rifle receiver that would rust whereas none of the other firearms in the same vicinity would rust.
    This may be the case. Excellent observation.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    935 times
    Use Ballistol and 4-0 steel wool. Go easy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links