1851 Navy Signature series (Round Trigger Guard )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1851 Navy Signature series (Round Trigger Guard )

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1851 Navy Signature series (Round Trigger Guard )

I have ended up with a unfired in the box 1851 Navy Signature Series Colt revolver. All of my research does not turn up any information on a standard production model, only special items or commemoratives. I did see in the latest Blue Book that there were approximately 100 2nd gen C series produced. Does anyone have any documentation on the quantity produced as 3rd gen?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Colt Signature 1851 Navy.jpeg
    For some reason, the Signature Series "Third Generation" 1851 Navy with round trigger guard was referred to as a "London Model". Try checking your references for that name.
    29aholic and Prowbar like this.

Member #
    Liked
    563 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaparosa View Post
    For some reason, the Signature Series "Third Generation" 1851 Navy with round trigger guard was referred to as a "London Model". Try checking your references for that name.
    As to why they were called London models is indeed a mystery, since they lack all the features that define a London made Navy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    165 times

Sig Series 1851s

Here's some info from the 2nd Gen guide on Sig Series 1851s
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    438 times
    Fingers, did you ever see a Sig. Series 1851 London Model with London address and steel trigger guard? I watch the net since quite a while and found only the version with the New York address in a few cases. The London Navy with New York address seems to be rare but the model with the London address is almost impossible to find.
    Happy Trails
    Kid O'Folliard
    SASS life # 55314
    BDS Western # 625

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Dallas; I've never seen these variants for the 1851. Probably why Dennis has them listed as rare or scarce. I'm primarily interested in 2nd Gens to fill out my collection (the one of 50 or less models are hard to find). Now that the London model Sig Series guns have been brought to my attention, I'll probably look a little harder at Sig Series guns
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    438 times
    Fingers, my main interest is also the Colt C&B revolvers of the 2nd Generation but I want to complete the line with Signature Series guns. I have from all standard 2nd Generation models at least one in a case with all accessories and already added a 3rd Generation Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon in a case. Still looking for a 1849 Pocket, a 3rd Model Dragoon with cut out for the stock and one with fluted cylinder as well as a London Navy. They are almost impossible to find here in Germany and importing from the US becomes more and more complicated and expensive.
    29aholic likes this.
    Happy Trails
    Kid O'Folliard
    SASS life # 55314
    BDS Western # 625

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Double checked and the address is New York City, signature backstrap and all other 1851 Signature features. Other than the Commemorative versions the Blue Book mentions the SELDOM SEEN round trigger guard. London references claim it will have the London address but I don't know that for a fact as I have never seen one. If it is worth something I don't want to take it to the range but maybe put it in a display case. Would like to come across the Dennis Russell book for more references, no luck at Amazon or other sites on the web. Is there a better more current publication out there that has consolidated and validate the previous information?
    Making a big shift from US Military rifles from WWI and WWII to 2nd and 3rd gen Colts for collecting.
    Thanks for the responses,
    Phil

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I started looking at the added file and I seem to be getting confused with what Cataloged means. All of the dates, First Year and Last Year coincide with the 3rd gen production yet the reference is for "F" series. I haven't looked at any of the old Colt sales catalogs to know how the models were described and haven't seen many of the 3rd gen shipping cartons to know that description on the end panel but what I have seen in Shooter's Bible goes by name. Same for Blue Books.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    438 times
    You can order that book directly from him:

Dennis Russell
    c/o Jared Press, LLC
    3162 Johnson Ferry Road
    Suite 260-607
    Marietta, GA 30062
    Happy Trails