Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Suggestions re removal of wedge from old 1860 Army

rbs

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Suggestions re removal of wedge from old 1860 Army

I am having difficultly in removing old wedge from an old Colt 1860 Army. Tapping it with rubber hammer doesn't seem to budge it and I don't want to break it. What is best way to get old wedge out with breaking? Thanks

rbs

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    657 times
    Try soaking with a good penetrating oil for a couple of days and use a hardwood block between the wedge and hammer and tap gently. I have never heard of anyone breaking a wedge, but you can damage the area around the wedge. You see alot of colt percussion's with nicks and dings around the wedge.
    Last edited by Colt1860; 06-16-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    cloverleaf and Fortibus55 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Be sure to support the area around the wedge. You don't want to bend any parts. I would use some wood blocks. And with a solid backing, your hammer blows will be more effective.
    cloverleaf and Fortibus55 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    I am having difficultly in removing old wedge from an old Colt 1860 Army. Tapping it with rubber hammer doesn't seem to budge it and I don't want to break it. What is best way to get old wedge out with breaking? Thanks

rbs

Start with a 1/4" diameter brass (welding) rod. Cut off a 3" long piece. Then file one end to resemble a screw driver blade, but with the end being flat (not sharp). Now you have a special punch that is SOFTER than Steel. Stay BELOW the wedge latch spring, and drive the wedge out. Hold the left side of the barrel in your left hand, while driving the wedge out, OR clamp the barrel in a vice using thick leather to protect that barrel from damage.

Don't use a rubber or other soft-faced hammer. You want your brass punch to transfer enough shock to jar that wedge loose. The use of penetrating oil will likely aid in moving that wedge.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 06-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.

rbs

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Gentlemen, Thank you for the good suggestions. I will follow them.

rbs

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Penetrating oil

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I also have this issue with a Colt Army. When you say soak in penetrating oil, do you mean actually putting the gun in some kind of container and filling with oil, or just putting a lot of oil on the gun? What kind of container, if that is the answer? It seems like it would take fairly large container and a lot of oil.
    Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    By all the responses it would seem that this is something difficult, but just smack the wedge with a plastic head gunsmith hammer. It'll pop right out.
    Prowbar and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    581 times
    Quote Originally Posted by herd118 View Post
    By all the responses it would seem that this is something difficult, but just smack the wedge with a plastic head gunsmith hammer. It'll pop right out.
    Yeah, and if it gets stuck halfway, use half a clothespeg as a punch to tap it through the slot.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by herd118 View Post
    This.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links