• 1 Post By Kraaaken
  • 2 Post By Swag01
  • 2 Post By Mosby

Thread: Interesting Colt 1st Model Dragoon And Original Holster

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times

Interesting Colt 1st Model Dragoon And Original Holster

A Mar 1, 1965 Colt letter only stated that “The manufacturing and shipping records for Dragoon revolvers were destroyed years ago”.

This 1st Model Dragoon #85xx was likely produced in 1850. Left front frame stamped “Colts / Patent / U.S.”.

During its period of use, the barrel was cut to 6-1/2”, with the lever latch re-located, and a quality German silver front sight installed. At the same time a tooled leather holster was made and internally lined with canvass. All numbers match, except for the 3rd Model cylinder numbered in the 12xxx range. Whether the original cylinder ruptured, or was kept with a spare loaded cylinder, we will never know. The gun was used extensively, leaving the rectangular cylinder lock slots rounded by the 1st Model bolt, and massive wear on the front of the barrel, cylinder, and brass trigger guard.

This was one of several old guns that hung inside of a South Texas ranch house. After purchase in 1965, I interviewed several members of this major ranching family. One primary family source said that this percussion Colt “Was used by a Texas Ranger in the family, who after missing for weeks was found dead near a road as ambushed. The man, his horse, saddle, and gun were all down in brush”.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I suppose shortening the barrel would make this Dragoon much more easy to hip carry and therefore more practical for daily use.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
    I suppose shortening the barrel would make this Dragoon much more easy to hip carry and therefore more practical for daily use.
    I have always presumed that the intent to holster-carry prompted the barrel shortening. It would still be a heavy pistola, one that would cause the belt to sag downward a bit. But it was the "44 Magnum" of its day!
    Spudee and jringo8769 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    Wow, what a gun. That is a great piece. The Dragoons have seen a lot of use, even after their military service period. A couple of accounts I've read talk about the Dragoon being the best pistol for the job because of its power.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Absolutely a great gun. And they ended up being used all over the world I am assuming. I have an 1859 manufactured 3rd model Dragoon in my collection which some how ended up where I live Down Under. I purchased this beautiful Colt a few years back from a deceased estate. Unfortunately, the owner took any provenance of the Dragoon to his grave and his family had no knowledge (or interest) in the gun. It has been serviced and is now in the same mechanical condition as when it left Sam Colt's factory all those years ago. My gunsmith tells me it has seen plenty of use. If only it could talk.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1443 times
    Amazing relic thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spudee likes this.
    Thanks...

K

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Beautiful old gun.
    victorio1sw and Spudee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    Outstanding! Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom
    victorio1sw and Spudee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    A Mar 1, 1965 Colt letter only stated that “The manufacturing and shipping records for Dragoon revolvers were destroyed years ago”.

This 1st Model Dragoon #85xx was likely produced in 1850. Left front frame stamped “Colts / Patent / U.S.”.

During its period of use, the barrel was cut to 6-1/2”, with the lever latch re-located, and a quality German silver front sight installed. At the same time a tooled leather holster was made and internally lined with canvass. All numbers match, except for the 3rd Model cylinder numbered in the 12xxx range. Whether the original cylinder ruptured, or was kept with a spare loaded cylinder, we will never know. The gun was used extensively, leaving the rectangular cylinder lock slots rounded by the 1st Model bolt, and massive wear on the front of the barrel, cylinder, and brass trigger guard.

This was one of several old guns that hung inside of a South Texas ranch house. After purchase in 1965, I interviewed several members of this major ranching family. One primary family source said that this percussion Colt “Was used by a Texas Ranger in the family, who after missing for weeks was found dead near a road as ambushed. The man, his horse, saddle, and gun were all down in brush”.
    Love it! Rio Grande City? San Diego?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links