Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this a good cylinder scene?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    105 times

Is this a good cylinder scene?

How good is this cylinder scene? BTW Looking at the second from last photo in the post that follows this one, what version of the Colt 1851 Navy is this? The last photo of this collection on that same post shows the damage to the barrel. Probably makes this pistol worth only a few hundred dollars.

.51A2BF8F-9B48-4D8D-853B-3ACA0A3CFDC8.jpegED7D6ADA-34BF-40EC-AD96-B42F8301EF49.jpegE2754904-3888-4AB2-AAB1-E6E77C41E548.jpeg002B5A69-3EF3-490C-AE16-37F219644583.jpeg66248D55-75E0-48FF-8C67-674EE8AC2834.jpeg
    Last edited by r010159; 07-29-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Kal collector likes this.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    very nice collection. I think that the cylinder has nice engraving on it still. It may have been cleaned a few more times than the rest of the gun, but all in all its a good colt Navy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Thank you. Being cleaned, and damaged, I do not think it is worth much. However, it is the first pistol that I own that has a near complete cylinder scene. The barrel was rusty. So I soaked it in Acetone + ATF solution which got rid of most all of the rust without taking much of the blued finish off. It was a compromise when I cleaned it. FWIW I found solutions like Ballistol appears to take allot of the bluing off when the pistol is soaked with it too long. Never again.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2341 times
    Writing from the perspective of someone who cannot seriously look at buying the high finish/high dollar Model 1851 Navy's generally listed at R.I.A, or Morphys, etc., but have to be happy (and I am) with those with "character" and honest use, I'd say that is a really good cylinder scene for this level of pistol condition. Photographs can be misleading but though it does look to have been cleaned, it certainly wasn't with a wire brush (I can find/show a photo of what would've been a "nice" Navy a young fella thought he'd clean up and make shiny with a Dremel before bringing it to a gunshow ) and seems to still show some patina. The damage under the barrel is kinda strange and of course hurts it a bit, but is in a more or less concealed area visually.

As with" Kal collector" above, I think it's a good Navy. Reference your comment: "Probably makes this pistol worth only a few hundred bucks", if your definition of "few" is 3, I'd buy a Colt like yours at $300 all day, along with every other one I could find. At $300 - $400 I've seen nothing but poor parts and relics. Even dug relics seem to go for more than that.

I think you're good to go.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    I am no expert but I think the cylinder scene is very nice. Patina is gone but the engraving was not compromised, at least that's what it looks like to me. Again no expert but I like that the edges and markings all look sharp and it looks like the barrel fits tight. I am more a shooter than a collector so I would say if it has a good bore and chambers I would personally value it well over "a few hundred dollars". I think it's worth well over $1,000 but I'm not sure if my thinking is in line with the actual market.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Thank you all for your input. I made the mistake in soaking the cylinder in Ballistol for several hours. OOPS. Oh well. Like “dogface” said in another thread, I need to back off from trying to “fix” it, and just let it be. At least now I have wax on every external surface of the pistol. Yes, I now can see it is worth more than $300, so I have not totally screwed it up. I think the excellent cylinder scene adds to allot of the value of this pistol. I have been thinking of selling it, but I am not so sure now. I really do like the cylinder scene.

PS All of you have always been helpful to me. Anyway, FWIW, I find that if I invert the colors on my iPhone, the cylinder scene becomes more pronounced. Quite a difference. Interesting, eh?
    Last edited by r010159; 07-29-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    ALSS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    Whats the full serial? ie: what year was it made?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    It was made in 1863, SN 177775.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's a fourth model. That cylinder scene is very good, you can even see the little men on the ships, a small detail wich is often worn off.
    The overall condition of the revolver is also good, with traces of commercial bluing left and alot of varnish on the grips.
    I think you could easily get 1800-2000 dllrs for this one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links