Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fingersmcgee

Thread: Colt '51 Navy Cylinder Stamp

Member #
    Liked
    208 times

Colt '51 Navy Cylinder Stamp

This is on Gun Broker now: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819528522

On photo 4 of 4 is a view of the cylinder, and right below the s/n it has stamped (on the cylinder) "PAT SEPT 20 1853". Has anyone ever seen this info on a cylinder before?

It is a squareback, so maybe it was some kind of early production aberration. None of my squarebacks has this, but one does have "COLTS PATENT" stamped on the right side of the frame.

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    My 2nd year Navy SN: 16XXX has 'Engraved by Ormsby' stamped in that location.
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    I am not an expert by any means, but to me it is very spurious. All hand stamped, not in line, and in different fonts. I might suggest that it is a home gunsmith special from the 1920's-1930's when those guns were worth about cents on the dollar. I find nothing in Swayze's book about such a stamping.

Regards,

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    It is in excellent condition?? The thing is rusted. IMHO this makes for at best a "Good" condition rating, which does not justify the minimum bid.
    I am a novice collector of Colt firearms. Recently, I have been focusing on antique firearms. Here is a link to some of my "gems":
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r010159 View Post
    It is in excellent condition?? The thing is rusted. IMHO this makes for at best a "Good" condition rating, which does not justify the minimum bid.
    Butt ugly non Colt markings on that cylinder - just my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpn

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The barrel address is wrong...should be a two-line New York, I think.

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Another questionable offering waiting for a sucker to jump on it. Also $69.00 shipping and insurance? I don't think so!

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Little seems right on this gun. The front sight appears to be wrong, the cylinder markings are all wrong and the barrel address looks more like a 2d generation than a first generation. I also believe that the frame screws and the wedge are way too nice looking to be original. I agree with the other assessments regarding the serial number. Pictures are poor, but the aging on the pistol appears to be a little too even for me. If I were at home I'd pull my reference books. I believe this may be a fake. Besides, if you are asking this much money, you would think more and better quality photos would be provided up front.

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpn View Post
    The barrel address is wrong...should be a two-line New York, I think.
    The barrel address is correct as a one line, but since these squarebacks were only produced in 1850 and 1851 who put a patent date of 1853 on that cylinder? Would not have been done by Colt -- they already had "COLT'S PATENT" stamped on the frame.

Member #
    Liked
    184 times
    Using Swayze as a reference, the barrel is totally wrong for a 4 digit 2nd model.

A second model Navy (SN under 4200) would have had the early --- ADDRESS SAMl COLT NEW YORK CTY --- not the late address of --ADDRESS COL SMl COLT NEW - YORK U.S. AMERICA -- of the fourth models

Barrel has the thick lug found on the middle third models.

It has the beveled loading notch found on the middle third models.
    Berkeley492 likes this.
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Sponsored Links