Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Paterson
  • 3 Post By Paterson

Thread: Query about Paterson No 5 found on Gunbroker

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

Query about Paterson No 5 found on Gunbroker

In me research on Patersons I once found on the Gunbroker site a No 5 that had an unusual marking on the cylinder. Unfortunately when I recently tried to recover the webpage I found that Gunbroker had removed it from their archived items. Luckily I had printed out the relevant text and pictures, copies of which I am attaching.
    My question is, what is the significance of the fact that on the cylinder is a marking of "PAT N 123", when the revolver's serial number is clearly stamped on the frame as "82". I also wish to state that I have seen another Paterson No 5 with the same markings on the cylinder, also with it not being the serial number. Could it be an early example of the roll engraving with the wrong patent number as I believe it should be Patent No 138.

The title of the Gunbroker item description was Marked Colt Paterson 9" barrel Fair-Good Cond, and it was listed in the Antique Guns category.

The text of the description is scanned here: -
    Ser No 82 text.jpg
    The serial number on the frame is shown here: -
    Ser No 82 Frame with grips removed.jpg

The marking of "PAT N 123" on the cylinder is shown here: -
    Ser No 82 Cylinder.jpg

What do you all think?
    nghiggins

Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    The subject pistol pictured is a copy – note the lack of the separate hand spring and screw as has been discussed here several times. The markings are incorrect. The serial number for the cylinder of any original model Colt Paterson is only marked on the rear of the cylinder between the nipples. The cylinder here shows the lack of rounded turnings on the rings on either side of the cylinder scene. The cylinder scene execution is the same as that seen on replica Patersons. Original Patersons do not show any numbers, Patent number or otherwise as this example's cylinder does on the outside although "COLT" will be there on the real ones. The serial number on the grip frame is not right and it's configuration not correct either.
    Last edited by Paterson; 08-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Fortibus55 and usgi1911A1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    I'd like to add - anyone, whether they are interested in owning one or just properly researching the Colt Paterson Revolver, or if they wish to be familiar with the genesis of the invention of the Colt revolver, they should own a copy of the excellent book, The Paterson Colt Book. It has very detailed information and many pictures of all models of the Paterson and is a very compact book that probably will be the last word on the subject. The purchase of a Colt Paterson is expensive and with so many bad guns out there, one must be informed and careful if he wants to own one. Just like any other purchase, a collector has to be informed before he considers buying one of the true icons of gun collecting. It is available everywhere from $79 to $100, a very minor investment, considering. I am not saying that the book is a guarantee of what you might be looking at, but is a very good start and will easily show what a great number of supposedly authentic examples on the internet are lacking.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a book. The beginning of the company and Samuel Colt's beginning is very well documented and it will serve you well even if you never plan on owning a Paterson.

Here are pictures of the cover and the first page of the chapter on the No. 5 or Texas Model Paterson which, by the way, shows a proper cylinder scene for the Holster Model.

WVCOLT, Prowbar and usgi1911A1 like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links