• 1 Post By blackpowder
  • 3 Post By turbo8205

Thread: Colt 1860 Army Commemorative US Cavalry 1877-1977

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Colt 1860 Army Commemorative US Cavalry 1877-1977

Hi everyone !

In 1977 Colt issued a very nice set of 2 boxed .44 army models marked "US Cavalry 1877-1977". The set came cased with accessories including a shoulder stock. The pistols have color case-hardened frames and loading levers. They seem very good quality. But are they?

Is anyone familiar with these? Their value? And most important: How is the quality? Are they simply for display purposes or was the manufacturing and quality control the same as for guns intended for shooting?

Any opinions and experience with this particular commemorative issue is highly appreciated. Thanks
    ". . . and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."​ Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    1342 times
    I had a set maybe 30 years ago. Never fired them but the quality seemed spot on.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    do you remember how much they cost 30 years ago?
    ". . . and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."​ Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I bought a set about 10 or 12 years ago, paying a thousand dollars for them. Folks at the time said I got a good deal. Been seeing them lately for around $1600-$1700.
    Fortibus55 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    235 times
    Colt produced several variations of the 1860 Army paired sets - Standard (2985 sets), Commemorative (17 sets), and the Engraved Commemorative (23 sets). Depending on which set, the pricing is approximately $1400 to $7000.

Ref-1860 Army (F9005 SPL)-Commemorative-SN 2990.JPGRef-1860 Army (F9005 SPL)-Engraved-SN 2961US.JPG
    dallascowboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The box and contents are exactly like the ones pictured. The pistols are not engraved. The left side of the barrels are engraved " United States Cavalry Commemorative". where does this place them value wise? Thanks!

Also, I hear different reports on the spotty quality control at the Colt manufacturing plant from the 70s onward. Any opinions on that subject?

Member #
    Liked
    235 times
    Refer to Pthfndr985's post for the value of the Standard set.

I am not familiar with any specific quality issues on the 2nd generation guns. I am sure a couple of items may not be as 'perfect' as some of the others, but I am happy with the quality of the ones I have. Besides you hearing reports on how 'spotty' quality control is at Colt (if true, it is hard to believe that Colt would have gotten away with that from the 70's onward), have you investigated if there are similar reports on Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Winchester, Henry, etc. The reports may be 'sour grapes' from enthusiasts who are loyal to other brands.

Many folks here shoot their percussion revolvers. Others display them. Whether shooting or displaying, the manufacture and quality process is the same for all these guns - except, some will remain as a 'standard' models and others will go to the Custom Shop for additional enhancements.
    Last edited by gunner5; 10-18-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    fingersmcgee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here is what I read about Colt's 2nd gen. guns and commemorative issues in particular:

1. in the 1970s they were assembled at the Colt plant in Hartford from a mixture of italian import parts - mostly from Uberti - and some US manufactured parts.
    2. Unlike Colt's standard practice, commemorative issue guns are not tested after assembly, meaning that any issues which normally are corrected after test firing remain undiscovered. Commemoratives were just assembled and shipped.
    3. Many CAS shooters claim that more often than not, out of the box, these guns need considerable "fitting" and "tuning" to make them work reliably.

Personally, I have not much of an opinion on the subject because the only Colt firearm I own is a DS made in 1966 which is of excellent quality and workmanship.
    fingersmcgee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    as 2nd generation colts they are of high quality...so desireable that I left mine unfired for years. I recently sold my set on gunbroker, finding the market rather flat. there were auctions with outrageous prices which never got a bid. my set was taking up too much space (it is BIG) and I readily sold it for $1200, had I been mote patient I may have gotten $1400. Im told the market is soft enough that some sellers are splitting the set up ,auctioning the individual items including the matched serial numbers for better profit.

i can attest to the mystical aspects of the sets; they truly are historical . you might look up Dennis Adlers books and see what I mean

if you can own a set for under $1500 it will be well worth it

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    I've had a couple of the Cav Commemoratives; still have one that is still in the original packaging. The other one was used when I got it then used some more till I passed it on to another shooter. The pistols will more than likely suffer from the same cap jams, short arbor and timing problems as a new Uberti or Pietta made last week.
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links