• 1 Post By Big Sarge

Thread: Question about 4 screw dragoons

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Question about 4 screw dragoons

So I recently bought a 1st model dragoon and got it to the range last week. It's now my favorite BP gun!
    I think the gun is probably more accurate than it showed. With my aging eyes I've always had a problem seeing the hammer notch on Colts.

I think I might be marginally better with a four screw model with barrel mounted sight. Were these ever made with the second gen or 3rd gen? I want a shooter so not looking for a 1st (couldn't afford one anyways).

I had something interesting happen to my dragoon. It came with #12 nipples which I exchanged for the long nipples from Track of the Wolf. Turns out these were too long and the first time I cycled the gun, the cylinder locked up. The longer nipple was preventing the hammer from falling all the way, so the cylinder bolt wouldn't fall. Not too hard to fix, and it works fine now with the shorter nipples. Some were hard to thread btw. None cross threaded, just very tight.

Thanks all.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Armi San Marco made 4 screw 3rd Model Dragoons with barrel mounted flip up rear sights. They show up on Gunbroker regularly.

Here's a couple listed right now: 838476539 and 826633726

There were 2 SIG Series 3rd Model Dragoons with the frame cut for shoulder stock; but, they don't have the barrel mounted rear sight.
    Last edited by fingersmcgee; 10-29-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Member #
    Liked
    688 times
    Yes too long a nipple prevents the bolt to reset over the cam, this locks up the action with the bolt in the slot and hand wedged against the cylinder. Best to shorten them in a lathe. I also replaced the crappy no. 9 nipples on my 2nd Gen Navy with TOTW, and has the same problem with really tight nipples. As I found out, the thread dia of the original nipples is a lot smaller than needed. This allows for a lot of hard crap to accumulate in the bottom of the threads. I ran a 12-28 tap though the holes and this fixed it. BTW one nipple from TOTW was slightly larger than the others. The cap sizes varying from year to year makes achieving the perfect cap fit a lost cause, sadly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I own 2 of the ASM 3rd Model Dragoons with shoulder stocks. Be forewarned, they are not of the same quality of an Uberti or 2nd gen Colt and replacement parts can be difficult to find. I had to send both of mine to a gunsmith who specializes in tuning BP revolvers. Just a friendly heads up before you go down the rabbit hole. If I had it to do over, I would take a sig model and have a custom replica sight made for it.
    dallascowboy likes this.
    Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    I own 2 of the ASM 3rd Model Dragoons with shoulder stocks. Be forewarned, they are not of the same quality of an Uberti or 2nd gen Colt and replacement parts can be difficult to find. I had to send both of mine to a gunsmith who specializes in tuning BP revolvers. Just a friendly heads up before you go down the rabbit hole. If I had it to do over, I would take a sig model and have a custom replica sight made for it.
    I haven't had a replica percussion revolver yet that didn't need some work to get it to function 100%. After I had my ASM 3rd model worked on, it was a real pleasure to shoot. Timing was spot on and hammer spring allowed for comfortable shooting. These 4 screw dragoons were made early enough that they didn't suffer from the poor QC of the 90s.
    DEFINITIONS:

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I enjoy shooting mine, simply saying I would have been far better off having a smith make a set of folding sights for my a sig 3rd model. Also, you need to consider the availability of parts with the older ASM models.
    Give a man a match, & he'll be warm for 20 seconds. But toss that man a white phosphorus grenade and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links