Constructive informed help on 1861 Navy wedge.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Constructive informed help on 1861 Navy wedge.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Constructive informed help on 1861 Navy wedge.

I have a number of New un fired Colt Patent C & B Rev, having a issue with the 1861 Navy wedge, it will not push threw completely and stops hard up against the barrel opening entrance on the opposite side where there is a slight bevel to assist the wedge and guide it threw to the other side so that the spring will click home and retain the wedge in its correct place, it may have been possible that it had left the factory in this incorrectly fitted state at Hartford, Connecticut, U.S. possible but I do have doubt, all numbers are matching,I did notice the wedge extension on the left side of the barrel when I opened the signature Sam Colt box on receiving the Rev, if a member could provide me with the tolerance gap between the cylinder and barrel that are Colt specs for this Navy it will be much appreciated,will check it against the other Colts of various models that I have, Colt specs only and not Pedersoli, Uberti, Pietta ore any other knock off,I am new to C&B so good positive assistance is much appreciated as I have much to learn, have learnt much from the duelist1954,Blackie Thomas and Cap&Ball of Europe very good videos , thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HD105; 12-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Welcome to the forum HD!

First, there is no such thing as an 1860 Navy. The Colt 1860 Army .44 and the Colt 1861 Navy .36 were produced.

Second, if you can post photos, it will help a bunch.

Regards,

Jim
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    WVCOLT and Spudee like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Pics of the inserted wedge? (both sides please)
    Also a pic of the wedge shown from above.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    WVCOLT likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    WVCOLT likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4170 times
    Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us here.
    - Terry -
    " WVCOLT "

" God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal "
    " I carry because I'm too young to die and too old to run "

Member #
    Liked
    2129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HD105 View Post
    I have a number of New un fired Colt Patent C & B Rev, having a issue with the 1861 Navy wedge, it will not push threw completely and stops hard up against the barrel opening entrance on the opposite side where there is a slight bevel to assist the wedge and guide it threw to the other side so that the spring will click home and retain the wedge in its correct place, it may have been possible that it had left the factory in this incorrectly fitted state at Hartford, Connecticut, U.S. possible but I do have doubt, all numbers are matching,I did notice the wedge extension on the left side of the barrel when I opened the signature Sam Colt box on receiving the Rev, if a member could provide me with the tolerance gap between the cylinder and barrel that are Colt specs for this Navy it will be much appreciated,will check it against the other Colts of various models that I have, Colt specs only and not Pedersoli, Uberti, Pietta ore any other knock off,I am new to C&B so good positive assistance is much appreciated as I have much to learn, have learnt much from the duelist1954,Blackie Thomas and Cap&Ball of Europe very good videos , thanks in advance.
    That barrel cylinder gap should be about 0.010, plus or minus 0.005".

On a new gun there should be no problem with wedges not fitting. Are you sure that the barrel is jamb-up tight against the frame? Use a wooden or rawhide mallet to tap on the muzzle to fully seat that barrel. Then wiggle the wedge after starting it into the barrel slot to see if you can "find" that opposite side barrel slot. Then push as hard as you can, but also use that mallet again if necessary to fully plant the wedge.

On a new gun, with everything fitting closely, it is normal for the wedge to go in tight. That is because the barrel has a tapered hole that is being forced over a tapered cylinder arbor column. And yes, it may be tight enough to require rapping the muzzle with a soft-faced mallet.
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 12-09-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thank you for the cylinder gap specks, yes I had dun all of the above that you suggested before I posted on this forum, on a close look at the right side barrel photos you can see that the wedge is close to 1/16 of a inch shy of entering the barrel threw opening on the right side. looking at the right side photograph of the wedge threw hole internally the left side of the opening has a slight beveled edge to assist the rounded edge of the wedge to slip into the open fully and the spring to clip home. I cleaned any metal burs and lightly polished with a fine jewelers file and cleaned up that corner of the wedge witch had been marred from being coaxed by a soft hammer. 20191209_175406.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    I don't own a 2nd Gen Colt but have read quite a bit about them.

Uberti manufactured all of the parts and sent them to Colt who assembled and finished them to their specification, and that is why there are no Italian proof marks or Uberti markings.

Uberti revolvers are known for having an improper fit between the arbor and the arbor recess in the barrel lug, resulting in the arbor not bottoming out in the arbor recess, which quite possibly may be your wedge fit problem concerning the barrel/cylinder gap. An easy fix is to procure some shim washers that fit the arbor recess (I use ones that I have that are .002" thick) to take up the extra space so the arbor butts up firmly against the "new" bottom of the arbor without moving the barrel lug off the frame when assembled without the wedge. After doing so, look into the barrel lug wedge slot to see if any arbor material protrudes past the barrel lug wedge slot on either side. If so, remove the excess material in the arbor slot so that everything exactly matches up. Drive in the wedge (as Sam Colt advised over 150 years ago) and see if there is any movement of the barrel off the frame and a change in the barrel/cylinder gap.

IMO, .010" barrel cylinder gap is far too much as any BP fouling will be excessive there and the fouling will soon build enough to bind the cylinder against the barrel. The gap should be no more than .003" and preferably .001"-.002".

If anyone tells you that you can vary the B/C gap using the wedge to adjust it, you had better keep a feeler gauge handy every time you reassemble the pistol.

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links