Inherited a Colt 1851 Navy - Trying to figure out if its legitimate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Inherited a Colt 1851 Navy - Trying to figure out if its legitimate.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Question Inherited a Colt 1851 Navy - Trying to figure out if its legitimate.

Hello everyone - new member here.

I recently inherited a Colt 1851 percussion revolver, ser #1xx, and I am trying to determine if it is real or an imitation.

A stamped serial number is in front of the trigger guard, but every other location where the matching serials should be, is fully engraved with no numbers.

I have tried the Colt Archives, but according to their site, they only have archives for the 1851 with serial numbers from 98,000 to 132,000, so I'm not sure where to turn.

Below are some pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

IMG_4686.jpgIMG_9241.jpgIMG_5258.jpgIMG_9266.jpg
    Fortibus55, Spudee and AlamoCity like this.

Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    John, First of all, with a 3 digit serial number, it should be a 1st model with square back trigger guard. The engraving is definately not Colt factory or New York and the grips should be rosewood, but appear to be birdseye maple. You don't show any photos of the barrel address or the serial number, but from what I see, it is not an original Colt '51 Navy. It is a pretty gun, but probably an Italian reproduction.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Buck: Thanks for your quick reply. I’ve attached a pic of the address and the serial just as a follow up, but had a feeling that was the case. Appreciate the help!
    Fortibus55 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Stinson View Post
    John, First of all, with a 3 digit serial number, it should be a 1st model with square back trigger guard. The engraving is definately not Colt factory or New York and the grips should be rosewood, but appear to be birdseye maple. You don't show any photos of the barrel address or the serial number, but from what I see, it is not an original Colt '51 Navy. It is a pretty gun, but probably an Italian reproduction.
    +1

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2399 times
    I have to agree with the above comments that it is a reproduction. But it is a very nice looking example of one and you should still feel proud to own it.
    Spudee likes this.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Very nice, I like it. I think it might be a Gregorelli & Uberti. G.U. made several hand engraved specimens but most of them would have had a Navy Arms barrel address. If it has straight lines on the hammer instead of checkering and has a square sight notch instead of a V-notch those are good signs it's a G.U. If it also has very fast twist rifling of about 1:8 then I would say it's very likely a G.U.

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Nice looking gun. I like the engraving. Do you see any import proof marks on it anywhere?

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    Import/reproduction, but a very attractive one. The grips look good.

Member #
    Liked
    969 times
    I am wondering if that was someone's engraving project gun. It would make sense to use a relatively inexpensive gun to practice on.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swag01 View Post
    Nice looking gun. I like the engraving. Do you see any import proof marks on it anywhere?
    I've gone over the entire piece and the only markings are the top address and the serial number. Nothing on the handle, the cylinder, or frame..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links