Suddenly I have an urge for a Percussion Colt..
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Suddenly I have an urge for a Percussion Colt..

Member #
    Liked
    7619 times
    Yeah I bypassed that. I’m not real comfortable with Auctions houses that charge the exuberant buyers premiums...
    krag96 and USNA85 like this.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    The stainless Army’s are superb. I have a (dealer) cased consecutively #’d pair of them. You
    Kid Sopris and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    329 times
    From Shooting Times:
    " According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, "Although parts for the Signature Series were cast in Italy, they were fully assembled and hand-finished in the United States using the proprietary Colt formulas for bluing and color-casehardening." The Italian origin of the raw parts for these revolvers is no doubt the cause of some disagreement on their authenticity, but the Blue Book further states, "Colt Blackpowder Arms Company Signature Series revolvers are regarded as authentic Colt pistols."Importantly, these revolvers bear only Colt markings–no import or proof marks–settling the issue rather emphatically.

The 2nd Generation versions were manufactured during the 1970s and '80s; the 3rd Generation versions were made during the 1990s and into the very early 2000s."

I have two "second gen" 1851 revolvers and two 1860 Signature Series revolvers from the '90s. I shot all four extensively in Cowboy Action Shooting. They never had a problem and were quite accurate. I have no doubt that the stories about William Butler Hickok could be duplicated by a capable shooter.

They are all beautiful guns, real treats to show and shoot. I feel sure that if I put one of each series in your hands, you would not be able to detect a difference in finish, or apparent mechanical quality. But, then, I don't look at them with a collector's eye.

Take a look at the attached pictures. These were taken after a couple years of shooting them. The silver on the trigger guard on one of the 1851's is tarnished, and the brass on the trigger guard of one 1860 shows some marks. Note that none of the hammers show any scraping on their sides, a sign of a quality assembly.

It's been a long time since I bothered to check what they might be selling for. At the time, over ten years ago, they weren't getting much respect. I don't care. The look terrific and they shoot well.
    Navy 1851 on map reduced.jpg1860 on rug reduced.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Is there a sure-fire way to tell Gen 2 guns from Gen 3?
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10521 times
    The Third Generations are called the 'Signature Series' - they have Sam Colt's signature engraved on the backstrap.
    Kid Sopris likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    552 times
    What dogface6 said, the Sig Series have Sam Colt's signature on the back, except for the Sig Series Paterson variants do not have the signature. However there were no 2nd Gen Paterson's so the Sig Series Paterson's cannot be mistaken for 2nd Gens.

Member #
    Liked
    629 times
    Harkrader, pretty sure one of your ‘51’s, at least as it looks from the photo, is a 3rd.
    krag96 and dallascowboy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I like shooting all of my 2nd and 3rd ( Signature Series ) Colts. My favorite is the 1851 Navy, and for regular carry an shooting I have a 5.5" Uberti that I tuned and replaced the nipples with AMCO nipples from the Possibles Shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    I recommend a second generation ‘51 Navy or ‘60 Army. Handle and shoot both if possible. I prefer the ‘51 Navy, generally, but there are advantages to a brace of ‘60 Army revolvers.
    Kid Sopris and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1874 times
    I'm kinda like Shooter13, go big, but short.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links