Colt Conversion dual Pattern Date Markings

Thread: Colt Conversion dual Pattern Date Markings

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Colt Conversion dual Pattern Date Markings

This is from the 1860 Richards 2nd model I discuss in an earlier pist. As I was looking at photos, I zoomed in and see that there is remnants of an original pattern date marking. You can see it to the left of the clear markings.

As I've been researching these in McDowell's book I'm a bit fuzzy. As I understand the 2nd Model or transitions were new builds, not converted 1860s per se. But when I do an SN look up at Colt online it comes back to an 1860 Army not a "conversion" but with a correct 1871 manufacture date.This would seem to indicate that the frame of this build at least may have been a repurposed 1860 frame, hence the removed/replaced pattern date?

Is my logic sound? I REALLY like this gun but want to make sure it is "honest" as my first foray into this (expensive) world of original early Colts.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Could of easily been restamped when it was sent back to get converted, very confusing for sure in Colt Conversions Era. Variations of Colts is another good read. Been through both books a number of time and its still a pretty gray area.
    artyldr01 likes this.
    Cal38RF

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9926 times
    It's legit.
    'This is King Fisher's Road--Take the other one'

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links