Like Tree9Likes

Thread: U.S. mark on Colt 1860

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    656 times

U.S. mark on Colt 1860

I haven't seen a lot of Colt 1860 Army's with the U.S. imprint on the left side of the frame. This one was made in 1861. Does it look correct?
    1860us.jpg
    victorio1sw likes this.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    846 times
    It is my understanding that when the revolvers were arsenal rebuilt for use during the Indian Wars that parts were mismatched and US was stamped on the brass trigger guard by the serial number. I would be leary of an 1860 stamped on the side of the frame by the patent marking as I have not seen this before. Are the serial numbers mismatched or do they all match?
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2344 times
    I am like Colt1860, and am not used to seeing a U.S. on the frame. However, attached are two examples of arsenal reworked guns with the "US" added on the trigger guards. One has mostly matching serial numbers, while the other has thoroughly mixed numbers. The latter (mixed numbers) seems to be normal on these.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 01-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    Kerz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    656 times
    Have only seen pictures of the gun, but all visible numbers match: frame, trigger guard, cylinder and butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt1860 View Post
    It is my understanding that when the revolvers were arsenal rebuilt for use during the Indian Wars that parts were mismatched and US was stamped on the brass trigger guard by the serial number. I would be leary of an 1860 stamped on the side of the frame by the patent marking as I have not seen this before. Are the serial numbers mismatched or do they all match?
    victorio1sw likes this.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    My understanding is of the percussion Colts made under military contract, only the Dragoons & 1851 Navy models were stamped ‘US’ on the frame at the factory. The OP’s pictured example looks to have had the ‘US’ hand-stamped after manufacture.
    victorio1sw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    This is where the 2nd generation 1860s were U.S. stamped when assembled at the old Iver Johnson factory in the late 1970s - early 80s time frame..I don't think any untouched originals , or post war refurbished , were U.S. stamped on the frame

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    You're going to need a lot more photos of this 1860 to make an exact determination. From the single pic, it appears to be a 2nd gen at best. Or a humped up Armi San Marco at worst.
    The cylinder leads aren't right, screws visible are current repos, Some kind of "T" inspector stamps all over it and twice on the trigger guard. No signs of any age, etc.
    Prowbar and jrm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    Like herd118 says, faked repro.
    jrm likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    656 times
    I agree it is questionable. It's coming up on Affiliated Auction's 2/12 auction.
    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/52420177
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Never seen the "T" inspector marks where they are located on the gun on any other 1860 Army. Too many red flags on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links