What is this?

Thread: What is this?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What is this?

Hi, First time post. I inherited this gun and not sure what it is. It has a 5" barrel and 5 shot capacity and says "Address Col SamL Colt New York, U.S America" across top of barrel. The serial number is 118531 on the frame but it is 24106 on the trigger guard. There are numerous proof marks on the cylinder which shows a letter A with a crown over it. (Belgium?) There is a 455 you can see below the cylinder. It does say Colt Patent on the gun, but there is no number. I think it some sort of forgery from Europe, but not sure what they were trying to copy. (pocket pistol?) Any thoughts? Thanks. I'm learning a lot from this forum.

IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    Belgian 'Brevette'. British proofed.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
    Belgian 'Brevette'. British proofed.
    Agree. I have several in my collection. They were made by the Belgians up to WW1 to sell to countries where cartridges were not freely available or not trusted. Look at he length of the chambers that was to get the most out of poor quality powders.
    The quality of the gun is usually poor and I have never had the courage to shoot any of mine.
    Last edited by stanforth; 02-09-2020 at 05:11 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, the fit and finish of this gun is not very good. I'll have to enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the comments.

Member #
    Liked
    1402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    Hi, First time post. I inherited this gun and not sure what it is. It has a 5" barrel and 5 shot capacity and says "Address Col SamL Colt New York, U.S America" across top of barrel. The serial number is 118531 on the frame but it is 24106 on the trigger guard. There are numerous proof marks on the cylinder which shows a letter A with a crown over it. (Belgium?) There is a 455 you can see below the cylinder. It does say Colt Patent on the gun, but there is no number. I think it some sort of forgery from Europe, but not sure what they were trying to copy. (pocket pistol?) Any thoughts? Thanks. I'm learning a lot from this forum.

IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpg
    Cool old gun, and cool screen name as well.

Sponsored Links