Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?
    That's such an awesome story, and testament to how reliable these old beauties can be!
    Hootch56 and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Any firearm that you use in self defense by shooting someone with it will be confiscated by the police and placed in evidence (yes, even it is a justifiable shooting) until the matter is cleared up. Could be days, could be weeks, could be months. I would hate to think that an original $2000 Colt Model 1860 Army was thrown in an evidence locker somewhere for however long. But if it was all that you had, you had to do what you had to do.
    tonyque likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4069 times
    I think most CF folks have enough ammo squared away that it will last until the end of the Wuhan virus crisis- save a good number of rounds for each weapon for emergency, we may have to curtail shooting for fun as many ranges are closed and in some Democrat run states LGS's are also closed by state order. But, if it came down to the holy black -though I don't know squat about C&B- I would want a Ruger Old Army .44
    Last edited by Ugly; 03-22-2020 at 01:36 AM.
    Kerz, scstrain, tonyque and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    The thing about a BP gun is you can always make your own bullets, even though you might have a slight shimmy in your steering wheel.
    You don't even have to be a good shot, the smoke, noise, and fire will run anybody off.
    But,...I would use my Glock first, then my old Colt as a back-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    C&B is just as lethal as it was during the Civil War and was still used afterwards for many decades later. If it was the only option then yes my 1847 Walker is just fine and my 1851 Navy is great for close up work. But I am an old Sergeant who knows how to keep his ammo stocked and ready so it's unlikely I'll never run out, even in the fiercest assaults' on my compound. Like most here I stock thousands of rounds for each caliber I have. A little off-topic in a way, but my mind set was formed long ago sitting on the tarmac watching the Helicopters come back to pick my team up and one crashed on the base and a couple others were barely able to land while on fire and shot up. That's when I knew my 200round combat load wasn't enough.

But back on topic, I've never been without ammo and even C&B will do a job for a brief time dealing with a crook. It's still the only option for some folks today.

5d12e1338e378881c88ae8cc43240b9e.jpg
    Hootch56, lboos, tonyque and 5 others like this.
    Colt SAA and Colt 1st gen SAA,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Uberti Open Top 1872 model in .45Colt with 7 1/2" barrel, Colt M1945A1, Winchester 1873 & 94.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
    Let me guess... you don't have any firsthand knowledge of firearms; just what you've seen in movies and video games?
    That was a little harsh .
    victorio1sw and Monsai52 like this.
    Condition Yellow

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Rick,
    Like your Walker, ain't that the same as the one Gus smacked that rude ass bartender up-side the head with right after he smashed his nose into that beautiful oak bar in Lonesome Dove.
    Best scene ever in an old west movie.
    Last edited by lboos; 03-22-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    SFC Rick, tonyque and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    You use what you have on hand. Imagine If all you had was a Walker. Probably need to use a two hand hold.
    scstrain, tonyque and spacecoast1 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1452 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lboos View Post
    Rick,
    Like your Walker, ain't that the same as the one Gus smacked that rude ass bartender up-side the head with right after he smashed his nose into that beautiful oak bar in Lonesome Dove.
    Best scene ever in an old west movie.
    Speaking of the Walker, I read somewhere a while back that it was still the most powerful handgun until the 357 mag., was introduced. There are plenty of reproduction Walkers around for sale. I would feel plenty safe at a short distance with one properly loaded up. The only problem would be that I might need a two-wheel hand dolly to push it around.

Member #
    Liked
    4545 times
    An elderly cowboy out this way carries a little “Screw barrel pistol”. He shuffles his boots across the street to get a candy bar once a week or so. But dang...I know that guy was tougher than three men during many years of his life!
    He showed me that little pistol a while back. And we got into a jovial conversation about it.
    Told me he always had one in his shirt pocket, even when he was in his 20’s.

“Ain’t good for much” he said “but will get you through a crowd and if you shoot it, you better be able to run like hell!”.
    lboos, tonyque, scstrain and 1 others like this.
    All SAA work. Check out my webpage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links