Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lboos View Post
    The thing about a BP gun is you can always make your own bullets, even though you might have a slight shimmy in your steering wheel.
    You don't even have to be a good shot, the smoke, noise, and fire will run anybody off.
    But,...I would use my Glock first, then my old Colt as a back-up.
    How do you like shooting the conicals out of your 51? I've been dying to try them, just haven't got around to getting a bag.
    krag96 likes this.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies."

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1755 times
    For those who choose not to use cap and ball in a Remington repo and want a quick cylinder change.

DSC_0768_zps27cc803d.jpg
    tonyque and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10696 times
    Have we really reached that point to where 'all' centerfire and rimfire ammunition has been expended in pursuit of searching for toilet paper and defending our homes and selves - if we have, that'd explain why the parking lots have expended brass up to our hocks and deeper.

Somehow, I don't think we've reached that point...

Besides, the stockpiles of cartridges in private hands alone is mind-boggling - and all of it has 'something in which to shoot it.

I have known a couple of guys who wanted to carry percussions, but realized that even GG Grandpa shifted over to cartridge as soon as he could, and that their life wasn't one extended-shot gunfight in a movie.

Maybe being an alarmist isn't the healthiest way to deal with social distancing, but imagining having to shoot one's way out of a Wal-Mart, all while clutching a 48ct pack of Charmin isn't a realistic scenario.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?
    I have an old side-lever Damascus barrel exposed hammer 12ga shotgun I bought off a guy for $60 years ago. Barrels have been cut to coach gun length, hammers don't match but it's fun to use in Cowboy re-enacting with BP blanks. Just for grins one New Year's Eve I let my boys have one barrel each in the backyard. They thought that was the greatest thing ever and it kind of became a tradition. They still talk about it and ask if we can do it again when they are in town for the 4th or NYE.

Back to OP's question...using a BP revolver wouldn't be my first choice but it would definitely be a viable alternative.

Avenging Angel[1].JPG
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Member #
    My boots are stained with Confederate soil
    Liked
    2096 times
    Well, a .44 cal round ball, 0.451" diameter, such as that fired in a Colt 1860, punches a larger hole than a 9 mm, 0.355" in diameter. Enough said?

Furthermore, it would be the area of the hole (circle) that would also be of significance. Using the formula for the area (A) of a circle being A=pi r squared,
    the radius (r) being 0.2255", the area of a .44 cal round ball hole is .1597". The area of a 9 mm hole punched into the thoracic cavity or an abdomen of a potential assailant is .0989". The area of the wound created by a 9 mm round is only 62% that of the area of a hole punched by a .44 cal round ball. Assuming that velocity is sufficient in either round to puncture flesh of an assailant, which it certainly is, each shot fired by a .44 cal round ball revolved should be 38% more effective than that fired by a 9 mm pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    1928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyque View Post
    How do you like shooting the conicals out of your 51? I've been dying to try them, just haven't got around to getting a bag.
    tonyque,
    I have shot my 1860 Army [repo.] using the round ball ammo. a few years ago, have not tried the conical, I have not shot the Navy yet, and prob. won't, I don't want to take a chance damaging it. same with my 1860 Army. the org. ones are just to look at and handle.
    BTW..When I was shooting my .44 cal. Army round ball, it left a very large hole in the watermelon I was using as a target, Yep.

dogface,
    I think all this talk about using a cap and ball was done in a joking way by those of us that collect Civil War guns [although many of them will work just fine] I know I have enough modern guns and ammo. to last me from now on as most here do, thanks to what happened pre. 2016.
    Last edited by lboos; 03-22-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    tonyque likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lboos View Post
    tonyque,
    I have shot my 1860 Army [repo.] using the round ball ammo. a few years ago, have not tried the conical, I have not shot the Navy yet, and prob. won't, I don't want to take a chance damaging it. same with my 1860 Army. the org. ones are just to look at and handle.
    BTW..When I was shooting my .44 cal. Army round ball, it left a big ass hole in the watermelon I was using as a target, Yep.
    I hear ya. It's so tempting to take the originals out and see what they can do, knowing they'll most likely fire without any issue. But risking it probably ain't worth it.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies."

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Collector View Post
    Let me guess... you don't have any firsthand knowledge of firearms; just what you've seen in movies and video games?
    Actually a little more firsthand knowledge than I care to remember. It was an attempt at humor.....not gonadal measurement.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usma65 View Post
    Actually a little more firsthand knowledge than I care to remember. It was an attempt at humor.....not gonadal measurement.
    My apologies... I've had others before refer to percussion weapons as toys, pop-guns, and the like, and it really bothers me when people don't respect them for the weapons they are.
    scstrain, sgtsemo, Zorros and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    While in school I studied the Civil War in detail, the weaponry and the leaders. I can assure you that even though I have few posts on this forum, I indeed have respect for the weapons they were and are. You apology is accepted, Sir.
    tonyque, Zorros and ChippewaAce like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links