Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Love all the replies on this thread! I'm putting together that the consensus is that there might just be a lot of us arming ourselves with a good ole percussion pistol if nothing else is available.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies."

Member #
    Liked
    2728 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInTx View Post
    Much like Austin and Dallas...I'm not sure Houston is really part of Texas anymore.
    An untold part of this story is that a friend of mine, a Houston police officer for almost 40 years, went into that man's antique shop. My friend likes antiques of many kinds. When the shop owner realized that he was a Houston policeman, he ordered him out of his shop! Although my friend was in no way involved in this theft of an original Henry Rifle, the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.

I am glad that I don't live in Houston. It was a cesspool 50 years ago, and has only gotten much worse. Guess what political party runs it??

Member #
    Liked
    2580 times
    I agree, interesting thread. As a young teenager I tramped all over many miles of farm, rail road beds and state forest armed with an original Colt Navy shooting about anything I deemed needing shot. This was the area my grandfather trapped bear for the hides to sell and meat for the logging camps near bye, I never felt a bit under armed, the Colt never failed to fire and balls always at least came close to their intended target no matter the range, (usually fairly close).

Now, thinking about the OP's question, (if he's a bullet caster) I would try and find or have made a mold that drops a blunt, or almost semi wadcutter type bullet to get the most terminal performance out of it. A .44 should do about the same as a .44 S&W Russian, a .36 about the same as a .38 S&W, and a .31 about the same as a .32 S&W short. Not exactly world beaters, but still good enough in a pinch. I recall of a guy back in the 60's during one of the riots using a Re-pop Remington .44 to defend his service station. He fired one shot with the Remington, putting a hole in his plate glass window and killing a can of 30W Quaker State oil. He never did say what he shot at, but he said he was thankful he missed. He cleaned up the oil, put tape over the hole, and went about life having no further need to point the Remington at anyone again as far as I know, but he did buy a Colt Python and had it the last I saw of him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Krag96, that’s such an awesome story. I love hearing stories of people actually carrying old Colts as a daily. I don’t cast my own balls yet, but I’m really interested in starting at some point. Track of the Wolf is so convenient so I haven’t really had the need but I can see the reasons behind doing it at home!
    sgtsemo and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    An untold part of this story is that a friend of mine, a Houston police officer for almost 40 years, went into that man's antique shop. My friend likes antiques of many kinds. When the shop owner realized that he was a Houston policeman, he ordered him out of his shop! Although my friend was in no way involved in this theft of an original Henry Rifle, the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.

I am glad that I don't live in Houston. It was a cesspool 50 years ago, and has only gotten much worse. Guess what political party runs it??
    Just an observation, I think that party runs most of the big cities.
    MarkInTx, Colt-SL, krag96 and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by victorio1sw View Post
    the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.
    [/B]?
    That probably happens more than we'd like to think.
    A new guy showed up with a table at the gun show with some really nice old Colts, Remingtons and Winchesters. He was a retired cop...who used to work in the Property Room.
    Colt-SL, krag96 and Ugly like this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ." --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Member: NRA, TSRA, NMSSA
    Action Pistol Director-TSRA

Member #
    Liked
    5555 times
    Anyway, it is very easy to just order Ammunition "on line", or off Gunbroker, all kinds of places have Ammunition, many of them have frequent sales and or good guy deals if one wishes to buy a Case or how-ever many Boxes.

As for me, I mostly like to just load my own, for Paper Target and 'plinking', but other than that, ordering on Line has been very nice.

Even if I were in a larger City, the choices and options and prices ( with shipping ) on line can often be better than local, especially for slightly unusual Ammo, like 'Federal Premium Hydra-Shok HP or HST', in .32 ACP, .380, 9mm P-'08, .45 ACP.

Boxes of "fifty" can be impossible to find locally, but can be found on line sometimes.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Covered. Not a Colt, but good enough. One for each hand, Johnny Ringo.
    1842 Aston.jpg
    tonyque, guy sajer, jcmh1 and 1 others like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8574 times
    I read years ago about a New Orleans gun engraver who carried a percussion single shot gentleman's "Cloak" pistol as a defense weapon.
    The writer said that only a real fool would have attempted to rob the engraver.

Black powder revolvers have problems associated with them, such as the longer barrels of most models, and the problem of insuring reliable operation of a revolver that's been left loaded for days in humid or damp conditions.

Wild Bill Hickok was famous for the extreme care he took in firing the loads in his pistols every morning, cleaning them, and the almost excruciating care he took in reloading them.
    He used only fresh powder and inspected each percussion cap.
    When asked about this careful process he said that when he drew his pistols he had to be SURE they'd work.

A percussion revolver could serve today just was well as in the 1850's and 60's. A bullet is a bullet.
    I suspect a modern shooter with the latest defense pistol would be extremely lucky to survive an encounter with Hickok and his 1851 revolvers.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I read years ago about a New Orleans gun engraver who carried a percussion single shot gentleman's "Cloak" pistol as a defense weapon.
    The writer said that only a real fool would have attempted to rob the engraver.

Black powder revolvers have problems associated with them, such as the longer barrels of most models, and the problem of insuring reliable operation of a revolver that's been left loaded for days in humid or damp conditions.

Wild Bill Hickok was famous for the extreme care he took in firing the loads in his pistols every morning, cleaning them, and the almost excruciating care he took in reloading them.
    He used only fresh powder and inspected each percussion cap.
    When asked about this careful process he said that when he drew his pistols he had to be SURE they'd work.

A percussion revolver could serve today just was well as in the 1850's and 60's. A bullet is a bullet.
    I suspect a modern shooter with the latest defense pistol would be extremely lucky to survive an encounter with Hickok and his 1851 revolvers.
    I've gone out to the shooting range a handful of times with buddies who shoot modern guns (AR-15s, Glocks, etc), and quite a few times they've chuckled while watching me load my percussion pistols after a quick six shots, but to me it's a fun art. Even coming home and meticulously cleaning them is a fun part of it as well. This is a good hobby to be neurotic, since so many things CAN go wrong if proper care isn't taken.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links