Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Resorting to Percussion guns for self defense with current ammo shortage?

Pretty much as the title says, just curious to see what everyone thinks. My two local gun shops have had lines out the door, and both stores have sold out of most common rounds(9mm, 45acp, etc).

I highly doubt we'll see a shortage of supplies for our C&B guns, and it got me thinking, if it ever came to a point where you felt like you needed to defend yourself, how comfortable would you feel grabbing your C&B to use.

Just bored with the self isolation, and wanted to start a convo! Personally, if it ever came to it, I'd be more curious to just see the intruders facial expression when he realizes what I'm holding in front of him!
    victorio1sw and sgtsemo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    No one likes to be shot with anything. If the intruder sees the gun, he will notice the barrel and if it is pointed towards him. If only wounded, then he would question....."just what type firecracker did you shoot me with". ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    2277 times
    A .44 cal Colt or Remington is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). My original '58 Remington is an excellent shooter, I wish I could find a picture of the group it made at 15 yards with one hand. While a modern single action pistol or double action revolver has obvious advantages, I wouldn't feel unarmed by any means with a loaded C&B pistol of sufficient caliber, especially if I "had the drop" on the bad guy.
    tonyque, victorio1sw and dkay62 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7282 times
    It's funny, LAST night my daughter (night owl) woke me up saying she heard someone walking in our gravel driveway. At 2AM. I did what I always say not to do - investigated. With my recently bought 1911 Stevens pump 12 Ga shown in another thread. Nothing out there but some bunnies. She probably heard a Javalina.

Would I use a cap and ball for defense? Yes, if there was nothing else. But I have many other guns, from the early 1900s, that used cases and shells. I'm not an ammo hoarder. 1 box per caliber is reserved for defense. If there if fighting in the streets I don't plan on joining in. Come in my yard without permission, I won't need much.
    Last edited by azshot; 03-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3118 times
    Certainly lethal in the hands of a competent man. When reading your post, I thought of Mosby's Rangers, aka The Grey Ghost and his Cavalrymen. They were known to prefer several handguns as opposed to long arms for each trooper. Many a soldier fell during their lightning quick raids. So, I think a cap and ball revolver is a very lethal weapon.

You could certainly hunt with a percussion long arm also.
    tonyque and victorio1sw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3405 times
    Wild Bill Hicocks' .36 Navy was pretty lethal.
    tonyque, victorio1sw, jrm and 1 others like this.
    Real cowboys don't line dance, a Buckaroo won't even watch.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usma65 View Post
    No one likes to be shot with anything. If the intruder sees the gun, he will notice the barrel and if it is pointed towards him. If only wounded, then he would question....."just what type firecracker did you shoot me with". ;-)
    Let me guess... you don't have any firsthand knowledge of firearms; just what you've seen in movies and video games?
    scstrain and MarkInTx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I also remember watching a video somewhere, and it was talking about how some countries have really strict gun laws, essentially making c&b revolvers one of their only options for a self defense gun. Thought that was interesting too!

IMO, a c&b would definitely be the classiest way to ward off intruders..
    victorio1sw and scstrain like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecoast1 View Post
    A .44 cal Colt or Remington is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). My original '58 Remington is an excellent shooter, I wish I could find a picture of the group it made at 15 yards with one hand. While a modern single action pistol or double action revolver has obvious advantages, I wouldn't feel unarmed by any means with a loaded C&B pistol of sufficient caliber, especially if I "had the drop" on the bad guy.
    That sounds impressive! I'm definitely still trying to master one hand grouping with the 1860 Army. A buddy of mine said I look like I'm shooting a Glock when I double hand it, which was enough to get me to go to single hand shooting lol.
    spacecoast1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2723 times
    If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?
    Last edited by victorio1sw; 03-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links