A question about selling a Colt

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

A question about selling a Colt

I hear that when one sells a piece, it is good to ask for a USPS money order. Although, I've heard that even these are forged a lot of times. I've heard cashiers' checks get forged nowadays, as do about all money orders. Jeez, I'd require any buyer to meet me in person, but then they might just whip out their own pistola and rob me.

If I asked for payment in the form of a postal service money order, is it easy to take such a thing into a post office and cash it in? Say it's over $500, might they not have that kind of cash on hand? I'm without a bank account now. To heck with banks! I had free checking for 1-2 decades, until they decided to charge everyone $11 a month.

This doesn't sound easy.

??

Member #
    Liked
    354 times
    Most PO will cash any USPS MO unless they don't have the cash and then might tell you to wait till they do. They can verify authenticity while you wait. Rather than a FTF deal with an unknown, I recc using an FFL Dealer. Their charge is usually minimal and they can hold gun while money order clears. Eliminates any safety risk and they are a licensed entity that can be tracked at least somewhat. Forgeries of cashier checks and USPS MO's is rare and a fed offense. Banks will usually certify if a cashier's check is legit. My experience as a bank attorney and as an escrow agent.
    Basil St. Clair of Azle, Texas
    817 706 3927 -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not everybody is lucky enough to have been born in Texas. But you're okay so long as you get here as fast as you can.

Member #
    Liked
    2570 times
    In the last 30 years, I've bought and sold an enormous amount of stuff by mail and (lately) internet. I've never had a counterfeit check, cashier's check, bank money order or postal money order. I have had problems cashing postal money orders at a post office. They never seem to have more than a hundred bucks they can use. I almost always use my local bank where I've had multiple accounts for 40 plus years.

- - - - Buckspen

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you are dealing on this forum or Gunbroker, USPS MO will be fine. Don't deal on Armslist. Check the amount of sales and rating of the buyer.

Member #
    Liked
    1382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iver
    If I asked for payment in the form of a postal service money order, is it easy to take such a thing into a post office and cash it in? Say it's over $500, might they not have that kind of cash on hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckspen View Post
    .........I have had problems cashing postal money orders at a post office. They never seem to have more than a hundred bucks they can use.

- - - - Buckspen
    This was certainly true in my case as a Postal Worker. A small PO will normally open the day with less than $100 cash in the drawer. I suggest calling ahead, even at a larger PO. Whenever a customer came in to cash a MO we used a continuously updated list of lost/stolen MOs to verify its validity.
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." --Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Member #
    Liked
    2712 times
    Go here. Also note the phone number to call to verify a postal money order.

John Gross

https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

Member #
    Liked
    948 times
    You MUST pay cash (or debit) for a USPS money order. Clerk got mad at me when I tried to pay with a credit card. Had to go get cash from my bank. I prefer cashier's checks. I don't mind if they hold the gun until it clears. I've also done wire drafts (and direct deposit transferring money from one account to another at the same bank). THAT IDIOT still wanted to wait 10 days! (By Federal law, wires go through the Federal Reserve Banks which must zero every day)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links