.38/.357?

Thread: .38/.357?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

.38/.357?

Anything to the stuff about .357's not as accurate as .38's? Somewhere along the line, I've been told if you want to get the extra out of your scores, get a .38 - NOT a .357. "Those are for killing things." The .38's for targets. Whaddya' say? The same guy that gave me this headache also says, "Wanna' shoot WELL? Then, 1. shoot .22's. 2. .38 special's 2nd choice. 3. .45 auto is 3rd choice. 4. .45 revolver gets left at the starting gate." NO! That's not MY opinion, but I'm interested in the rebuttal. Over?

jar

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Re: .38/.357?

I'm one of those silly folk that really like the 38s. While I own lots of 357s, I find that the models designed for the 38 shoot even better than the 357s. One of my very favorite revolvers in an old Army Special. Even with the old fixed sights it's a pure joy shooting out there way beyond the 25 meter line.
    Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
    Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

HORSE FEATHER'S??

Nope.

BULL POOP!!

If you shoot target loads in a decent 357 they are just as accurate as target loads in a decent 38!

If you shoot high intensity loads in a decent 357 they are just as accurate as high intensity loads in a decent 38!

My experience over 30 years and a variety of guns/brands/loads.

The difference in 38 vs 357:
    1) ~.125" case length allowing more powder to be used with attendant increase in pressure.
    2) Stronger gun design to address pressure in #1 above.

That's it.

The REAL difference is in the effect of recoil on the individual; if you insist on getting hammered with high intensity loads your shooting will reflect it; mild target loads one can shoot all day with little effect on aim and hold.

Internal ballistics (" Magnums are NOT as accurate because of the something-or-other-thing-a-majig that happens with the combustion of the powder in the longer case")?

That statement, and I understand it is not your opinion, makes no sense as it implies that NO magnums are accurate.
    Huh?

------------------
    Eternal vigilance is the price.....
    Eternal vigilance is the price.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Ah-ha! You too, eh? I've had this discussion before and usually, someone insists .357 guns are EXACTLY as accurate as .38's - no more, no less. And then someone says, HORSE FEATHERS! Magnums are NOT as accurate because of the something-or-other-thing-a-majig that happens with the combustion of the powder in the longer case. For me, I resolved the argument when I saw the, "Target Python," in .38 Special. If the magums are just as accurate - then why the .38 Python? I'd love to have one of those 8", .38 Pythons and the Officer's Model Match .38 I used to have and shoot 'em booth and see what I'd see. But, since one has long been traded off - for a .357 Python, and the other I doubt if I'd spend the price required, I'll just speculate in cheap ignorance. Thanks for your info, Mr. Jar. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jar:
    I'm one of those silly folk that really like the 38s. While I own lots of 357s, I find that the models designed for the 38 shoot even better than the 357s. One of my very favorite revolvers in an old Army Special. Even with the old fixed sights it's a pure joy shooting out there way beyond the 25 meter line.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

OK. Thanks, guys. Seems to me I remember reading somewhere about Skeeter Skelton or Elmer K., or one of those gents insisting on wadcutter reloads with .357 brass, if they wanted to target shoot with the magnum. But its been so long, I'm not sure anymore. (Slept several times since then!) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hebejebe:
    HORSE FEATHER'S??

Nope.

BULL POOP!!

If you shoot target loads in a decent 357 they are just as accurate as target loads in a decent 38!

If you shoot high intensity loads in a decent 357 they are just as accurate as high intensity loads in a decent 38!

My experience over 30 years and a variety of guns/brands/loads.

The difference in 38 vs 357:
    1) ~.125" case length allowing more powder to be used with attendant increase in pressure.
    2) Stronger gun design to address pressure in #1 above.

That's it.

The REAL difference is in the effect of recoil on the individual; if you insist on getting hammered with high intensity loads your shooting will reflect it; mild target loads one can shoot all day with little effect on aim and hold.

Internal ballistics (" Magnums are NOT as accurate because of the something-or-other-thing-a-majig that happens with the combustion of the powder in the longer case")?

That statement, and I understand it is not your opinion, makes no sense as it implies that NO magnums are accurate.
    Huh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

In my experience when shooting PPC in the early 80's the .38 was more accurate when fired from a .38. My PPC gun was built on a model 10 "K" frame.

The extra jump between the case mouth and the throat of the barrel in a .357 allowed the .38 to yaw a bit and it would show up at the 50 yard line every time. The idea of loading .38 loads in .357 cases was a result of that bullet jump problem.

Fact is the .357 is more accurate with .357 ammo even if loaded light. The .38 is more accurate from a .38. If you shoot the .38 out of a .357 revolver the difference is minor and will beat the pants off of most if not all semi-autos. Not however that the .38 is more accurate. It is simply designed for .38 guns.

Your average target shooter that would not shoot more than 25 yards would not know the difference. A good shot could tell at 25 yards and the 50 yard targets on the PPC course would be easy to see the difference all other things being equal.

My experience, my opinion. Your milage may vary.

------------------
    Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links