Trooper MK III value

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Trooper MK III value

Sitting with the Python that I purchased the other day was a Trooper MKIII. Not very good shape maybe 80%, wouldn't even lockup when the trigger was pulled. I'm guessing whoever pawned the Python also pawned the Trooper.

Any idea on the value of this gun?? The serial # 566XXL. Any idea how old it is?

Started thinking that maybe it wouldn't make a bad range gun.

Joed

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Trooper MK III value

Value? You know the answer to that. What ever some one is willing to pay. Go ahead & check the gun auctions or the Blue Books to get a range. If you want a number I'll give you mine.

What you described is not worth $250 to me. I've seen 97% & up guns with boxes go for $350. Although the last Trooper MK III I bought was $400. But it was pretty nice (almost perfect) for a 1971.

I don't have any reference material with me right now for S/N look up, but I know that it is 1981 or before. I suspect within 1 or 2 years. Is the top of the barrel flat or does it gradually ramp up to the end of the barrel?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I didn't notice much of the barrel but it looks like the Python if that helps. I don't think it's worth anything.

Joed

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

This is going strictly on personal memory of conversation - nothing factual at all, but it may be helpful ... I was active in shooting and buying guns - as active as I could be on $6,200 a year, when the Trooper Mk III's came out. I'd always been a Colt fan and my colleagues took this as a cue to razz me that Colt finally gave up on the OP/Python action and made one like an S&W. (Everyone, "on the job," in those days, carried a revolver - a .357 if your chief would let you - and there were NO automatics in east coast law enforcement I was aware of.) (The grip feel changed a great deal, counter-sunk chambers, enclosed ejector rod - all looking rather Smith-ish.) I remember being told by a smithie at the time that, to some extent, my critics were correct. The OP/Python lockwork was essentially the same as the 1898 Teddy Roosevelt guns and it was/is comparatively delicate.
    The Mk III's were intended to be sturdier, shoot as well, not go out of time as quickly and, here's the BIG item, be easier to tune back up than the other, older Colts. He claimed that he thought Colt had won the battle as, he felt, the Mk III was THE strongest revolver action ever made: good from the box, very accurate, smooth, powerful and easy to maintain. A real lifetime keeper. I remember listening patiently and then buying a Combat Commander! Ha!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
    Go ahead & check the gun auctions or the Blue Books to get a range. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry I looked at the gun autions. I saw a few going for $500 - $600, there was even a 22 lr going for $1000. I think the guns on the auction sites are way overpriced. But if someone will pay that amount more power to them.

Joed

Sponsored Links