Older Officers Models

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Older Officers Models

I would appreciate knowing when each of these two older Colt Officers Models were made, and any estimate of value. Both have the old style blue finish, adjustable front sights, checkered backstraps, etc. Both are in excellent 95%+ condition.

First is a 6" barrel .22, serial 63XX.
    From the low number, one would presume it is an early one?

Second is a 7 1/2" .38 Special, serial 303XXX,with a small diamond on each grip.

How does one differentiate between the various models/editions/variations on these pre-war Officer Models?

Any help or comment is appreciated. THANKS.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Older Officers Models

Can't tell you much, but I'm prettys sure they're both pre-war and in SW Kansas, the pair would tear heck out a $1,000 bill. Both really desirable guns, too, for range shooters.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Jerry,
    The 22 # 63XX = 1931, The 38 # 303XXX = 1908. If you don't need to "hide" the full number for some reason I may be able to give you the month. rcw is correct, it will eat up the better part of $ 1000. in fact maybe more. For a lot of good info on any of the Pre War Target Revolvers go to www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerry6stl:
    I would appreciate knowing when each of these two older Colt Officers Models were made, and any estimate of value. Both have the old style blue finish, adjustable front sights, checkered backstraps, etc. Both are in excellent 95%+ condition.

First is a 6" barrel .22, serial 63XX.
    From the low number, one would presume it is an early one?

Second is a 7 1/2" .38 Special, serial 303XXX,with a small diamond on each grip.

How does one differentiate between the various models/editions/variations on these pre-war Officer Models?

Any help or comment is appreciated. THANKS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 10-23-2003).]

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks very much for the info...it is different than I expected.

One follow-up question....Why would the later model .22 have a four digit serial number and the earlier model have six digits? Did Colt start renumbering, or were all .22 Officer Models in a different range?

I know that Colt and S&W eventually added Alpha character prefixes to their serial number ranges,mostly after WWII.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Jerry,
    It's re-numbering, Colt started at # 1 in 1930 with the OMT in 22. Again check out the Colt group at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1 there's serial numbers and the years they were made for all the Pre War Colt Target Revolvers plus hundreds of pictures of the different guns and Colt adds from the late 1890's up to 1945.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerry6stl:
    Thanks very much for the info...it is different than I expected.

One follow-up question....Why would the later model .22 have a four digit serial number and the earlier model have six digits? Did Colt start renumbering, or were all .22 Officer Models in a different range?

I know that Colt and S&W eventually added Alpha character prefixes to their serial number ranges,mostly after WWII.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links