Questions on HPD Marked Official Police
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Questions on HPD Marked Official Police

Member #
    Liked
    459 times

Questions on HPD Marked Official Police

Any idea of what department HPD would be? It's up in the 900+ range on the police number, would that likely make it a larger department?

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Houston police department maybe

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22701 times
    Houston, TX is fourth largest city in US behind NYC, LA and Chicago. It would have to have a very large PD.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    I was hoping Hartford !!
    bsmalley23 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    I don't think that it came from Houston, Texas. Houston has never issued handguns to its' officers. I go back to the early 1960s with my direct knowledge of the dept. Before I started my own distribution company in 1972, I worked at Grant Ilseng Co and, they had the HPD police cadet class business from the 1950s. HPD requires each officer to this day to purchase their own side arm. Bill Bailey (the LE salesman) told me that he had the business for many years and, it was all S & W. HPD does have some S & W 38 Special revolvers in Red Boxes in the armory. I went over to HPD with Tom Kahlich ( our Colt rep) in 1969 to show Lt Swearingen the 1)Mk IV Series70(BB) 2) the Trooper MK III and 3) a 9mm double action pistol. I never heard of or saw the 9mm again ??? HPD does have some surplus SMGs that it got from the US Gov't after WW II and, I guess they could have received an OP from the Gov't. Also, I know that they sometimes use firearms from finalized court cases for training, etc. Maybe it could be ????- Alan Aronstein

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Maybe it's Honolulu......?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1773 times
    Pick any city starting with H.

Unless it's a recognizable unique script or location, it'll remain a guessing game.

The number could be an inventory number, but it could also be a badge number. Hard to draw definite conclusions.

I've got a Colt OP that went to the Allentown, PA, police and was factory-ordered with the number 12, even though Allentown had used OP's for decades and had a few hundred officers at the time. Go figure.

An archive letter is your only realistic shot, and even that is no guarantee if the purchase was funneled through a commercial wholesaler rather than factory-direct. I'm currently working on two Colts, an AS from 1924 and an OP from 1942, that both lettered to the same hardware store and both ended up as heavily-used service guns, probably with the same agency, and I'm still trying to figure out which agency.

Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Absalom- good info, thanks. I always figured the PD markings were done at the factory and recorded, but clearly not! You've got me thinking as the area where the police markings are have turned brown, the rest of the pistol is still mostly blue. I am now wondering if the markings were done at a later date and the bluing was touched up.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1773 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bczadnm View Post
    ..... I always figured the PD markings were done at the factory and recorded, but clearly not! ......
    Sometimes it's obvious whether it is a factory or at least professional job, or whether some department armorer went to work with some dies, sometimes not so clear. Department-applied marks are more common, based on my observations.

Just for some examples, below is a factory-stamped No. 11 (confirmed by letter) on the OP, and a department-applied NYCPD shield number on a Police Positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2594 times
    Honolulu would be a cool agency to have stumbled upon. Your best bet would be to get an archive letter for it. At the very least you should be able to know what area it was shipped to and then could go from there.
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68
    2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links