Colt Single Action added - Colt Archive Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Very nice Colt SA 41, I appreciate the appearance of these every time I see one. I now understand the need for a larger bag on funds. Perhaps a backpack would allow you to carry a larger amount of money the next trip.

I can attest to the long trek from East Texas, from my locale it is 8 hours to Amarillo and you start thinking you are almost there but you are not!

Just maybe that one was shipped to El Paso or the other day someone had a gun that was shipped to Mexico City. Of course it would not be in the condition of yours.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Thats one nice firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    608 times
    That is a very nice Colt, thanks for sharing sounds like the show was a lot of fun. As to whether or not to fire it, it's your gun & I suggest you do what your heart tells you on firing it. Thanks for sharing. Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    516 times
    I really like that .41 - I like that barrel length also. Sweet!! And to have a wife that will go along like that - Your a lucky man. It would have been a long ride otherwise. I used to run over the road (team) and my regular route was from Chicago to Dallas to Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Then back to Chicago. We'd go up thru Amarillo thru the Okie Panhandle thru Denver. It was quite a ride.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Thats perfect just perfect.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times

Smile

that is a nice lookin smokewagon,i think you should shoot it a little,you only live once,
    when you die, you are dead for a long time.

Member #
    Liked
    843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by broknaxl View Post
    And to have a wife that will go along like that - Your a lucky man. It would have been a long ride otherwise.
    My wife and I have always done things together; gun shows, antiquing, etc.! Thank goodness she has never been particularly interested in plays and such; although to appease her and my mother I did take them to see the stage presentation of Oklahoma at the Kennedy Center back about 1979. Oh, and there was that one time I took her to see an outdoor stage presentation of Beauty and the Beast, but other than that I’ve had a pretty good life.

While I was on a project in Washington, DC she was pretty far along (pregnant) with our daughter (1980) and she even made the trip with me up to a gun show in Syracuse, NY; now that’s being a trooper!!! She might have been bored stiff at some of those gun shows, but she didn’t complain!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    my reading is that simmons isn't quite as "nowhere" as hartley & graham here in new york. simmons tended to order, in the last years of the 19th century and the early part of the 20th, a lot more .41's and .45's than .32, .38 or .44 wcf's, and -- in the case of 1873 sa's and 1878 da's -- more 4-3/4" barrels as well.

these guns were clearly intended for social purposes as opposed to sporting carry, likely seeing more time inside texas saloons than in the whitetail country of pennsylvania.

in the case of the .41 -- a pet favorite of mine -- bullet size vs. bore diameter makes it difficult to connect much beyond 50 feet, and so its usefulness in open country would be limited at best.

as a gunfighting round, however, it remains in my view just about perfect.

Member #
    Liked
    843 times
    Excellent assessment mike!!

I have one Single Action (4 3/4 inch 45) that was shipped to Simmons; also in 1901. It was a shipment of 1 gun (special order) and the letter included “Sold To” information. I’ve tracked the original owner to Waco, Texas where he owned a business; which I’m still researching!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-Colts View Post
    Excellent assessment mike!!

I have one Single Action (4 3/4 inch 45) that was shipped to Simmons; also in 1901. It was a shipment of 1 gun (special order) and the letter included “Sold To” information. I’ve tracked the original owner to Waco, Texas where he owned a business; which I’m still researching!
    Does your research show him in the Beaumont, Texas area? 1901 was the start of the Texas oil boom and many "boomers" coming through St Louis, a major railroad junction & stopover before they headed south bought their guns at Simmons.

Billy

PS: I got this from: Colt SAA and Bisley Production For The Texas Oil Boom 1901-1907 by

Col. Robert D. Whittington III (Ret)
    Ordnance Corps
    United States Army

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links