offical police

Thread: offical police

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

offical police

found one for sale, wood stocks, heavy barrel, .38, but is parkerized, made during ww2, is the parkerizing possibley correct or refinish, price is $500.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    For military sales, Colt 'Parkerized' some OP .38's during WWII as a cost-cutting step.
    Some called it the Colt 'Commando' and it was issued to some Military Police and other security units for jobs like guarding government buildings. May be when 'Coltwood' came into existance as some guns got these plastic stocks instead of wood. After the war, they went back to bluing the gun but kept the plastic until the mid '50s when wood came back.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a comando, and this is not one

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    867 times
    That's a high price for a Official Police unless it's a revolver with an unusual background.
    Lot's of OP's around for lower prices, even heavy barrel models. Unless it had a known pedigree I would pass.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8304 times
    There's several ways this could be.

1. Its a Commando that's been re barreled with an Official Police barrel.

2. Its an official Police that was re-finished with parkerizing.

3. Its a WWII Official Police with a factory war-time park finish.

Which it is could only be determined with a Historical letter from Colt. Price, about $75.00.
    $500 is high unless its minty.

Member #
    Liked
    827 times

If it's a re-barreled Commando . . .

If it's a re-barreled Commando, the top of the frame will have the flat, serrated, post 1926 contour of the Official Police and Commando and not the smooth, rounded topstrap of the Army Special, but the serial number will be between 1 and roughly 50,000; too low for it to be an OP.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    3. Its a WWII Official Police with a factory war-time park finish.
    Huh, did they do that? Every parkerized OP I've ever seen has been a Commando. I've got two OPs dated 1943 and they're blued.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made him equal."

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8304 times
    There was a war on.
    The usual "with Colt ANYTHING is possible" went double.
    If Colt had an Official Police marked barrel handy, and it would have delayed a shipment, they'd have put on the barrel and shipped.

My best "feel" on this is, the posters Official Police is a post-war non-Colt refinish.
    Again, as is often the case, only a Colt letter will tell for sure, and possibly not even then.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Remember that Commandos had their own series of serial numbers 1-50617 as per proofhouse.com. Also any embellishments of the Official Police were removed on the Commando. I have a Commando that has a Officers Match barrel, target sights, checked back strap etc. Apparently a lot were converted after the war to target models. As per an article by Bill Kirsh in February 1948.
    As to your original question, an Official Police for $500? That seems high unless there is special providence. I would look for a Officers Match if I were spending $500.

RCdeck

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well I bought it for $300, it has colt plastic stocks, 4 in heavy barrel, ser no from 1943, and an aftermarket parkerized finish, should make a great shooter, and I don`t have to worry about scratching a nice blue finish.

Sponsored Links