Smoothbore 45 saa
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    i live in hoboken, in the provence antwerp
    Liked
    0 times

Smoothbore 45 saa

i need some opinons on this gun smoothbore 45 c serial 128863 ,colt letter says bleu, but gun is nickel,unfired in box but not original to gun,bronze medallion included, most important is the gun original

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Does the letter indicate it is a "Smoothbore", that would put in in the rare category.

Member #
    Liked
    6988 times
    The gun was re-nickled over the blue, evidenced by surface pits under the nickle. The smooth bores were usually used by Wild West performers, but not exclusively. It's a very nice specimen, but I don't think it's in it's original configuration.I suspect it hasn't been fired since it was refinished.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Does a smooth-bore antique run afoul of ATF regulations?
    David Wilson (My avatar is a seemingly unfired Commando)

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    If its classed "antique" the detachable butt-stock is ATF compliant correct, similar to Mauser broomhandle?

Have fun and be safe.
    Nightshade2x

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
    Does a smooth-bore antique run afoul of ATF regulations?
    Not sure why it would. Muskets and shotguns are legal. Is there a minimum "tread" depth gauge for rifling?

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    I think DC is referring to a smoothbore, by defination, having no lands, & grooves, is technically a shotgun. Any barrel length under 18" would need ATF clearance paperwork.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3116 times
    Ditto on what has been said about the finish being redone.

I would also compare the serial number size and shape and placement of some other single actions in the serial range also. It's far too easy to get the serial number of a rare configuration and then make a gun with that serial number on it.

I've seen 2 factory smoothbores up close and personal...one of them was a blue and case 7-1/2" 45 shipped in 1902 and the other was a nickle 7-1/2" 45 shipped in the late teens to an artist who lived on the 101 ranch in Oklahoma....we did some research and figured out the painter's wife was in the 101 wild west show back in the day.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    Well as far as the smoothbore part, I believe the author of the post is in Belgium. So that might not be a probablem for him with the ATF. It might have been redone for a Wild West Show as Kid stated. Probably bored and renickled. Not in original condition, but a nice looking and interesting piece. If you could find a conection to a famous Wild West performer that would be great!!
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by broknaxl View Post
    Well as far as the smoothbore part, I believe the author of the post is in Belgium. So that might not be a probablem for him with the ATF. It might have been redone for a Wild West Show as Kid stated. Probably bored and renickled. Not in original condition, but a nice looking and interesting piece. If you could find a conection to a famous Wild West performer that would be great!!
    While European laws are usually stricter than the US, there occasional oddities. For example, in England, at least some years ago, silencers were perfectly legal- mustn't disturb the neighbors when dispatching that rabbit in the garden patch, don'cha know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links