No sale at the gun sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    624 times

No sale at the gun sale

Local show in nearby town, made the drive, paid my admission and trooped the lines of tables in search of whatever caught my eye. I spotted an Official Police in 4" - it was wearing cheapo rubber grips but it looked like it had promise. The first three of the serial number were 855 so it was an early 60s piece and possibly with some police agency history. Asked the sales dude if he could remove the cheapo grips to peek at the back strap and/or butt for any police markings and he said "No, I don't have any tools." I mentioned it might only take a cheap screw driver or pen knife to loosen the already buggered screw holding the grip panels together - nope, it wasn't gonna happen. I guess if I showed interest in one of his high dollar polymer coated hi-caps he would have whipped out a suitcase full of screwdrivers. Rant off.
    Last edited by 03clyde; 09-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Don't you just love some folks? It shouldn't make any difference if it is a high priced pistol or a piece of boat anchor - I would think if he wanted to make a sale, he'd oblidge the customer - after all, how hard is it to remove a grip screw? Oh well . . . . if he treats all of his potential buyers this way I guess he won't be in business long. Sorry you couldn't talk him in to it - who knows, you probably would have bougt it if the price was right. He'd a been happy and so would you - his loss, not yours!

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I was looking at a rifle in the last gun show and asked if I could take the stock off for further observations.

He had no objections and also provided the screw driver. I ended up buying it.

Some are really accommodating in that regard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I asked, politely, about just field stripping an M1 rifle to check for wear and the she-devil behind the table said-in a very nasty tone-"You take it apart, you own it!" like she'd make me pay for it.

Member #
    Liked
    804 times
    I was looking at a python that had a plastic white tie around it I said I was interested and could He take off the tie so i could check it out mechanically. He said oh no this is new in box from the factory that's why it has the tie . I dont know if He was just that stupid or if He just thought I was that stupid. Also from the slight turn line visible, also it obviously wasnt new in box.

Member #
    Liked
    2663 times

Happens all of the time.....

Oddly, most gun shops will let you look for the police markings. But,the shows are a different story. As I only want the ones with police/company history,I'll hand the gun back to the dealer & walk away. I'm sure I've let a some intersting ones get away. But,I'm not buying unless I know what I'm getting.

Charles

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    That's why I carry a Swiss Army Knife. The Tinker is relatively inexpensive and will do most small and emergency jobs with little problems. Put it on your key ring and its with you where ever you go.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I am willing to bet he is not the last person you ( or me) will run into that has a nasty attitude. Fortunitely, many people are happy to do the right thing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3937 times
    People have a right to be wrong. The owner of a particular gun has the absolute right to control what occurs with that gun.

While such attitudes make no sense in most cases, the other side of the coin is that there are also idiots on the other side of the table who will "snap" cylinders open and closed and the like. In my experience, the idiots on the "buying" side of the table far outnumber the idiots on the "selling" side of the table.

Sometimes asking the owner to perform whatever inspections you desire will work. If you are really interested in the gun you want to inspect, offer the seller $10 or $20 for permission to perform the inspection, to be applied to the purchase price if you buy the gun, but the seller's to keep if you do not. That has worked for me on occasion.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1737 times
    +1 -- You hit the nail right on the head Judge. I have seen "buyers" act in such obnoxious ways it is just tiresome. They forget entirely that they are handling someone else's property.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links