About Collecting Colt SAAs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

About Collecting Colt SAAs

Hello all,

I am a new member to this forum and am a casual shooter (Don't own any Colts yet though).

I am doing a project for a class about the value of Colt SAA revolvers as collectibles and would like to ask all you Colt revolver fans a couple of questions.

1) Why would you purchase a Colt SAA revolver over another firearm?

2) What does/would it mean to you to own a Colt SAA besides its use for shooting?

Thank you all in advance for any replies. I may ask a few follow up questions as the project progresses. Feel free to PM me if you would like me to clarify anything about the questions.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    a collector wants the colts because they are Colts.if you collect an item,you want that item.just as good ,don't get it.if you collect Ford Thunderbirds.you don't want Edsels.most true collectors won't/don't shoot them.new shape is better than used.or why take a chance of breaking a part that can't be replaced...jwr

Member #
    Liked
    6998 times
    Welcome, look's like UNLV is at it again. This same general question was asked of Employee's of The Gun Store, in Las Vegas, back in 2004 by a UNLV Student. Opinions varied, but the common theme to each of the individuals was always rich with HISTORY.

Colt Manufacturing said in their 2007 catalog: "The story of Colt, the firearms company, is written indelibly across the pages of almost two centuries of history. There are millions of arms bearing the Colt name attesting to the company's keen knowledge of shooter's needs coupled with the ability to deliver a quality product."

..."Suffice it to say that no other name has contributed more to the legendary history..."

..."The most famous revolver ever, the 1873 Single Action Army (or Peacemaker)"....

I own and shoot Colt Single Action Army's, Because I can; I choose the best, the most historical and still the best investment for my money.
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've only ever held and shot a Colt SAA, so I cannot offer comparisons to others, but I can tell you when you hold a DA revolver, or 1911 thats a colt, and one that is not, you can feel the difference.

They're right, Colts are legendary. Colts aren't the only guns I own, or ever will own, but they're the only guns I love.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet,
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

This is the life we choose, the life we lead, and there is only one guarantee; none of us will see heaven.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    yes, I would purchase a colt, saa or otherwise, over another firearm.

and what it means is that you own the best. the history is a part of it, but so is the "if i take care of you, you'll take care of me" partnership between a man and a gun.

i'm not a collector, though i own some fairly rare weapons and shoot them all.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    1) Yes I would buy a Colt SAA over another manufacture . First imitation is a form of flattery , and there are numerous imitations out there to choose from. So why not own the original . Second the quality of a Colt is second to none. The blueing is just incredible . It is so deep it goes on for ever . The color case is magical . It seems to change every time I look at it . Also they were and still are made in U.S.A. It is hard to find anything that we still make here . And there is the history . It is just that; it is part of the history of the United States .

2) What it means to me is 1. It is a work of art
    2. It is an investment
    3. It is an heirloom
    4. It is fun
    5. It is something other gun owners who do
    not own Colts ........Envy
    I hope this helps

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt SAA

To answer your first question of Why buy a Colt SAA over another gun. Owning a Colt SAA is just like owning a Real Rolex, the Real thing is the top of the line product, the others a like buying a Fake Rolex. They may look the same and keep time the same but they are not the same. Colt SAA's are the only real SAA the others are just copies.

The history of the Colt SAA, especially the 1873, is the history of the American West. I have been tracing the history of one my dad bought in 1937. It is a US issue from 1884 and the efforts have turned so much American History in it's background. When I look at the gun and just try and imagine the owners and the places the gun traveled. That's why I don't buy any other than a Colt. The History!

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Your mind and heart is set on a 1955 Chevy Bel Air convertable and it cost the same as a new Ford or Dodge or even a new Chevy, Lets say the price is $20K each.

Buy any of the new 4 door compacts, sure they are a nice car, but it will decrease in value daily until it is hauled away for scrap.The 55 Chevy will increase in value.

The 55 Chevy feeds the mind and soul with classic original design and hand fitting, pride in ownership and euphoria when driven.

You can't distinguish the other brands apart in dim lite. Pride and euphoria lives down the street in the 55 Chevy garage.

With a Colt SAA you are holding handmade history, the same gun today as 1873. One that will appreciate, give pride in ownership and a large helping of euphoria. It is oft copied but still the original.

I owned a 2nd Gen SAA 7 1/2" NIB, shot it a lot and sold it. Every clone I have owned or fired since Pales in comparison.
    Last edited by 1966Python; 10-26-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spellen

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I own a lot of different pistols from several different manufacturers. Mauser, Luger, S&W, Ruger and Colt. I bought what I bought because it filled a void - real or imagined - at the time.

Colt Single Actions are the 1st that I'm building a real "collection". I own 13 at the moment. Most are in matched pairs. All except one is .45. The goal is a matched pair in both B/CCH and Nickel in every barrel length. I'm working on the 7-1/2" now.

Colt SAA's are what my TV hero's carried in all those old shows. The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke et al. Plus it's what John Wayne carried in all his westerns.

Pick up a third gen Colt in one hand and a Ruger single action in the other and if you can't feel the history and difference. No one can explain it to you.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    1. I suggest you should do a physical comparison of a Colt SAA to any number of SAA replicas, and see what you think.

2. In the History books of the world, many countries have experienced very similar situations. However, the American West is uniquely American. The Colt SAA was a major thread in the fabric of the American West. It is very difficult to view images of the American West and not catch a look at a Colt SAA in there somewhere. When you hold a Colt SAA, you can feel yourself going back in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links