Just got my Python back from Colt...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Just got my Python back from Colt...

and I gotta say I'm not too happy with it..unless I'm being really picky.

Here are some pictures to what I'm referring to...that curved area where the barrel meets the frame..one side looks OK but the other has what appears to be some sort of pitting, if you run your fingers over it you actually feel a rough surface, isn't it supposed to be smooth?

Should I send this back to Colt or is this an area that is known for being difficult to re-finish? I checked a couple of my other Colts and they don't seem to have it.

Also, the invoice stated "Recut roll marks as nec". I noticed that the little triangle mark above the trigger guard in the front is gone now...is that something they don't recut to signify it's been refinished?

I don't seem to be having a great week with my Colts, first I had the issues in my other thread I started yesterday and now this...

Last edited by norcal77; 11-15-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh, oh. I have a 6" at Colt's now for a set of new clothes. Your comments and pics are a bit worrisome. I guess I'll just have to hold my breath.......

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah, I'm a bit dismayed by the quality of the re-finish considering it was Colt.

The pictures I've seen of other members and there re-finish seem a lot better than what I have. When I compare it to my other Colts that I know have the original finish it seems like an amateur did it.

We'll see what customer service has to say in the AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    965 times
    From the pics that DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A COLT REFINISH.Call them back,tell them exactly what you think,make a copy of the purchase order,and send it back.Speak to RJ in customer service,NOT KARA.Here are some pics of my refinished royal blue Detective Special http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...49yulFca tRrsC

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    In your paperwork from Colt, it should have stated...
    NOTE: We Cannot guarantee the removal of all rust and pit marks.

This only makes sense as you can't send them something riddled with pitting and expect them to remove it all and not change the over all look of the gun or chnge the dimensions of the gun.
    To remove pitting means they would have to change the size of the part in question.
    They may have felt by recutting or machining that curve would be a disaster in the overall look of that area.
    The area in question is not a simple area to cut and retain that look.
    Because of the fact it's on such an angle and it's involving 2 radius, the simple fact of removing only .005 of an inch to clean that up would make that whole side of the gun change.
    They probably felt that leaving it alone was much better than risk screwing up the look of where that tool radius meets the barrel and the radius contour of the frame.
    I probably would have left it alone as well.
    If you cut that area any deeper you would be able to compare it to a non-refinished Python and see a difference. They didn't do it just because they were lazy.
    That's just my opinion.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    As usual Jeff makes some good points; was the gun pitted badly before you sent it in?

I've had 3 guns refinished by Colt, two blue and one nickel and I can't be happier with the results, however I didn't have major repair work done, only refinish work due to excessive finish wear.

Please let us know what Colt says after you speak to them.

Sorry you're disapointed with the results...

Member #
    Liked
    1337 times
    Norcal77, I would bypass customer service. Send a PM or email to forum member Bjt72. Brent is Colt's product service supervisor and is over the refinishing department. He floats around on the forum now and then and checks for problems and concerns like this. Very nice person to deal with. I'm sure he will help you with your problem.

Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    I would very much like to see you post these pictures in my Refinished Revolver post.

https://coltforum.com/forums/showthre...shed+revolvers

If you have any before pics of the gun that would help as well.

I would hope that something can be done to polish out that area of the frame. It would seam to me that it could at least be done by hand if need be.

Good Luck
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7872 times
    When Colt does a marking re-work, they do the stampings on the barrel and possibly the Colt logo on the frame.
    They don't re-do the Verified Proof mark on he trigger guard web, nor do they deliberately polish it off.
    It's just a very small rather shallow stamp and it's not unusual for it to fade away during normal polishing for a re-blue.

As for the frame blending cut, if it was rough or rusty, attempting to polish it too much would have caused the frame to look mis-shapen.
    You can talk to Colt about this, but this just may have been an area they could fix.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hello all,

Actually, the pistol had no rust on it before I sent it in. The reason I sent it in was because I wanted the barrel swapped from a 4" to a 2" and I figured a re-finish would be needed to make it all look the same.

It actually didn't look that bad before...I notice when I polish it up with a silicon cloth it kind of blends it but that goes away when you wipe it off.

I'm looking at it with a magnifying glass and one side looks acceptable to me, the other side has the numerous pin holes on it..

I received a PM from a gentleman at Colt! Now that's customer servicewe'll see what he has to say.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links