Ugly Duckling not so ugly anymore

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ugly Duckling not so ugly anymore

Posted few months back about my 1964 Colt Python. It was in pretty bad shape but got a great deal on it. After a stint at the Colt Factory this thing is Awsome! Looks like new to me and just shot a 1 1/2 in group at 15 yards. The first two pics are before and the 2nd two are after refinishing. All I have to do now is put on the original colt grips and she will be ready to go. sorry bout the pics, not a professional phot guy

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Well, she sure looks pretty now! The factory knows what it's doing!
    NRA Distinguished Life Member
    SWCA 2082

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Wow, it doesn't even look like the same Python. Very nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2182 times
    Say, that is nice! So glad to see that the factory can well handle a refinish.

Even though my Python is a 6-inch I've about decided that the 4-inch is the best looking Python.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Wow, my somewhat scratched and nicked '63 Python 6" doesn't look half as bad as yours did. Makes me really consider getting Colt to refinish mine, but everyone tells me not to, since I'll ruin it's collector value.
    1903 Pocket, 1908 Pocket, 2 1908 Vest Pockets
    2 handfuls of Pre-70 Series to Series 80 1911's & Commanders
    Cobras, DBacks, Pythons, OMM's, and so on...
    Always looking for more
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2182 times
    I generally am against refinishes unless the gun is so far gone that it is both unsightly and its value won't be impaired by the rehab. If it is that bad then the collector's value is already "ruined."

I confess that if I ran onto a Python like narc12's I'd be tickled to send it in.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Beautiful!!

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Confession time, I'll burn candles later.

In the very late 70's I bought a new 4" Nickle Python for my duty gun. I still remember taking it out of the box at the GS. It took my breath away. It was my companion for everything. Some years later I traded it for a LNIB box 29.

Last year I decided I wasn't getting any younger and I'd put off getting another Python way too long. I sold some guns and went on a Python hunt, I wanted nickle. Found a 4" blue, VERY nice, the price was quite a bit below others in this condition. I bought it. It is nice but I noticed it didn't take my breath away.

It was too nice to drag through the brush deer hunting, I ran down a 6" blue shooter and went to get it. They had a 4" blue that obviously was an old LEO gun. Lots of holster wear and the right side stock was worn down removing most of the checkering. The timing and action was rock solid, it had been carried a lot but shot little. I ended up getting both.

My thought and plan is hopefully to send the 4" off and have it nickled. As it is a good solid shooter grade with zero collector status as is. I will have a 4" nickle that will take my breath away at about 60% of a NIB(?) collector one. OK now I'll go find those candles.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links