Colt Officers Model of Capt. John J. Lamb (Lindbergh Kidnapping)
Like Tree17Likes
  • 11 Post By Schuren
  • 1 Post By Screwball
  • 1 Post By Schuren
  • 1 Post By Screwball
  • 1 Post By SHOOTER13
  • 1 Post By Schuren
  • 1 Post By Rick Bowles

Thread: Colt Officers Model of Capt. John J. Lamb (Lindbergh Kidnapping)

Member #
    Liked
    279 times

About 8 years ago I bought a nice Officers Model and ordered an Archive Letter... Usually it is "Simmons Hardware" or some other not so interesting recipient. But this time was different:
    This is what I got:P1020308.JPGLamb.jpg

Capt. Lamb was a a Member of the State Police Pistol Team.... and involved in the investigation of the Lindbergh kidnapping under Col. Schwarzkopf. You can find a lot of infomation on Capt. Lamb in this Book: Their Fifteen Minutes: Biographical Sketches of the Lindbergh Case, by Mark W. Falzini (you can find it on the net).
    Peter
    Last edited by Schuren; 01-31-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: picture!

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

That is an unbelievable acquisition! Really worth the money to get that letter.

I was going into the NJSP, and while withdrawing from their process was likely the best thing I could have done (even friends, who were instructors at the academy said I made a smart choice after I withdrew), I do have a lot of respect for the majority of the agency. A LOT of history there, and coming up on 100 years.

The NJSP does have a Facebook page... and likes to put up interesting historical posts. Might be a chance of portraying gun ownership in a positive way, if you wanted to drop them a line and see if they wanted to post an article. I’ve seen many families of Troopers forward historical pictures that made it up there.
    Mosby likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    That is an unbelievable acquisition! Really worth the money to get that letter.

I was going into the NJSP, and while withdrawing from their process was likely the best thing I could have done (even friends, who were instructors at the academy said I made a smart choice after I withdrew), I do have a lot of respect for the majority of the agency. A LOT of history there, and coming up on 100 years.

The NJSP does have a Facebook page... and likes to put up interesting historical posts. Might be a chance of portraying gun ownership in a positive way, if you wanted to drop them a line and see if they wanted to post an article. I’ve seen many families of Troopers forward historical pictures that made it up there.
    Thank you for this information, but I am not on facebook. I looked on their homepage but they do not have much on the Lindbergh Investigation.

I have little information on Capt. Lamb. He seems to have been a great pistol shooter.
    The revolver shows very little use (or was well kept).
    Peter
    Mosby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Roger that, Peter.

If you ever want to share it with them, let me know and I’ll get you an email for their PR unit.
    Mosby likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11702 times
    Excellent Score...

And the historical provenance to a law officer involved with such an notorious case as the Lindbergh Kidnapping really adds to the significance.

Would like to know the story on how that firearm made it to Germany...

Walter Rego likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER13 View Post
    Excellent Score...

And the historical provenance to a law officer involved with such an notorious case as the Lindbergh Kidnapping really adds to the significance.

Would like to know the story on how that firearm made it to Germany...

I just looked up how I got this revolver. It was an internet auction from a dealer. I paid € 451 (less than 500 Dollar) for it. But no information... just that it was from an estate. It has no German proofs. Probably a collector imported it.
    It is very rare that you can trace a pre-war gun all the way back to the original owner.

peter
    rock185 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15819 times
    Congratz Peter, you won the "letter lottery"! This too would make a great article for the "Rampant Colt".
    SMLE1907 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Congratz Peter, you won the "letter lottery"! This too would make a great article for the "Rampant Colt".
    Rick, it is like a lottery and it is Simmons Hardware or places like this most of the time. But I have one or two with some interesting people... I will post them and ask for help!

An article.. tricky....as I have no Information that goes beyond what you find on the net. Capt. Lamb should be the object of research for some guy in NJ. Some picture when he was shooting as a member of the team would be great...

Member #
    Liked
    2249 times
    Some years back the American Rifleman magazine had an article about the Colt Detective Special and pictured one that was owned my Lindberg. I believe it may have been a Fitz Model but my memory may be hazy. Supposedly Lindberg started carrying it after the kidnapping. It would be interesting to put them together for an article with photos, etc but that probably won'
    t happen since the OMT is in Germany. As others have said, sometimes you strike gold with a letter. Most of the time it's just another hardware store shipment.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links